Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Do I need to treat crabgrass on newly seeded lawn

I seeded this lawn about 2 weeks ago with a fescue, BG, rye mix. The weather was dry and hot and I had to irrigate, and now I have a fair amount of crabgrass growing along with lawn seed (see picture). My question is: will the colder weather that SHOULD be coming soon slow down the crabgrass growth enough from the lawn to establish (I realize it will completely die with first freeze), or do I need to treat it with a crabgrass spray like quinclorac? The owner would like to avoid using "chemicals" if possible.... I'm located in Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't see your picture, but I'm surprised that CG actually germinated this late in the season... we don't really have an issue with CG at all during September , but I can't say where you're at that it won't stunt your lawn before it goes... it thrives in heat and grows fast while turf languishes in the heat rather than compete...
What are your over nite low temperatures???
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Our lows have been in the high sixties lately, however the forecast shows lows in the 50s for the next 10 days...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

50's might be cool enough to slow down the CG and help the turf grasses excelerate growth, but hard to tell... I'd watch the race closely and if the CG isn't creating any real problem, maybe let it ride... be sure to let the turf grasses get tall and keep them tall until the CG gives up...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Axe is right. Crabgrass really slows down when the weather goes below 50 at night. Keep the water coming and feed it about at 30 and 60 days after new seeding. Remember most of what you see is perennial ryegrass, your bluegrass comes in much slower. Crabgrass stops growing when night temps hit 40.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see you pix today!!!(computer thing)... as long as you're watering alot right now I'd throw down some more seed on those areas that didn't do so well... the CG doesn't look that threatening to me this time of year,,, should be fine...