Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Weeds

Long time lurker here. Between family and work, I have neglected my lawn for a bit too long and its looking kinda rough. Its obviously very late in the season, but looking forward, I want to set myself up well for next year.

I am located in CT (06478 to be precise).

The yard is 1.5 acres, probably 3/4 acre lawn area. Attached are pics of some common weeds/crab grass that I have.

To get a jump on next year, should I worry about fighting the weeds now..? If so, what is the best weed killer I can use..?

For fertilizer, I spread some milorganite in the spring and fall. I hope to get around to a soil test in the next couple weeks to see what else I need, like lime etc.

I'd rather not pay a pro, but am open to the possibility, just don't know how to find someone worthy of my hard earned money.....
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area at least, it cost me the same if not less to have a service come out and fert/treat my lawn than I can do it myself. Plus I dont have to take the time to do it so IMO im coming out quite a bit ahead. You can get free estimates on a lawn fert service or ask your neighbors or friends if they use one.

But if your just looking for what to do, Scotts has a good site filled with lots of great info.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/common/tem...entId=19300170
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Several of my neighbors use the local Lawn Doctor office. Their lawns look great, few if any weeds, god color, etc. But from conversation, I know the Lawn Doctor guy doesnt do soil testing. They are just on a "standard" program. I figure if I were to learn as much as I can about doing it myself, then I'll have the choice to either DIY or hire someone, but I'll have the knowledge to know if I am getting good service from....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I let my lawn appearance tell me the job my service provider is doing personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the best time of the year to spray broadleaf perennial weeds... the reason for that is, all seasonal plants that need to survive the winter begin to store foodstuffs as the days shorten and the weather cools down...

Be sure the moisture level of the soil is adequate, the plants are not stressed, but happily growing and they'll suck in that poison like a glass of Kool-aid...

For the CG,,, just toss some seed on the areas where they freeze off and you'll have their dead bodies as cover to get them going...
Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure looks a lot like my lawn & story (to much OT & two weddings in three months Son & Daughter)
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have ID';s for the weeds above?

1. Crab Grass
2. Stilt Grass??
3.?
4. A violet of some sort?
5. Red Wood Sorrel??
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziksgeek View Post
Anyone have ID';s for the weeds above?

1. Crab Grass
2. Stilt Grass??
3.?
4. A violet of some sort?
5. Red Wood Sorrel??
Looks like CG to me and the others look like broadleaf perennials... the recommendations for post emergent control for those weeds are herbicides like 2,4d... if they're perennial, they need to be sprayed...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Isn't proper identification the best way to ensure proper treatment..?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Broadleaf vs grassy leaf IS your proper identification when using herbicides... some claim that Dicamba is better on Creeping Charlie than 2,4d or mecroprop,,, but generally All 3 are combined together to make the product...