Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Mega Arbel advice

We're doing our first Mega Arbel job next week and I'm looking for input of the pattern.

A friend of mine who uses them often tells me what a bear they are and that the pattern is really tough to figure out and keep correct throughout the job, but my local supplier told me today that there is no real "pattern" and to just lay the cloverleaf configuration without putting the same pavers to close to each other.

Opinions? Is there a definite pattern to stick with, or do I just lay them out and keep the joints random?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

There is most definitely a pattern wit Mega Arbel, I think of it as a turtle. There's a head, front "arms" back "arms" and the tail.
That's just how I picture it and keep it in pattern. They only fit one way, you can put a few pieces in wrong like, 3 or 4 pieces, then you realize you did it wrong and have to go back. I've done that a couple of times first starting out. But once your built out enough it goes pretty easy.

They are beefy pavers though, measure 3 1/8" thick, Even better when your cutting in the soldier course.

All I can say is, have fun. Wish I had some pictures for you to check out, but I don't have them on my laptop.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Once you get the clover leaf figured out it goes fast, but I agree if you toss one in the wrong way and it will screw you up.
Attached Images

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
Once you get the clover leaf figured out it goes fast, but I agree if you toss one in the wrong way and it will screw you up.
I just noticed but those walls are installed on top of the arbel! I was looking at how nice your cuts were when I noticed that!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
I just noticed but those walls are installed on top of the arbel! I was looking at how nice your cuts were when I noticed that!!

Is doing this becoming popular now or something?
I just saw another job the other day that I actually wanted to get pictures of and post on here. It was done the same way, but done poorly. Glue oozing out of the bottom of the block, the block was already tipping out.
I'll have to stop back to get some pics and post.

But with the Arebl, the tops are textured so did you have any problems with that, or just make it up with glue?
And sort of base prep do you do in the areas where the wall is? Anything extra, tighten it up a little bit or same thing as the other paved areas?

I'm interested in knowing about that method, not to take away from the original topic...
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. Thanks for the heads up on the cutting.

We've got two entrances to the house and one to the garage to cut (butting up, that is), all 48" wide. The rest will be overlayed into the beds and cut in place (since we are doing a full landscape as well).

thanks again for the help.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy b View Post
Is doing this becoming popular now or something?
I just saw another job the other day that I actually wanted to get pictures of and post on here. It was done the same way, but done poorly. Glue oozing out of the bottom of the block, the block was already tipping out.
I'll have to stop back to get some pics and post.

But with the Arebl, the tops are textured so did you have any problems with that, or just make it up with glue?
And sort of base prep do you do in the areas where the wall is? Anything extra, tighten it up a little bit or same thing as the other paved areas?

I'm interested in knowing about that method, not to take away from the original topic...
This was a display we did for a garden show that would be taken down in a couple of weeks.

I would never and would never suggest setting walls, pillars or steps on top of pavers.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cutting mega arbel does suck a big donkeys you know what. It has 4 things that I hate about it. 1: it's hard to measure if you have to butt it up against anything. 2: it's big and heavy so the old saying applies "measure twice cut once" because carrying a piece back to the saw more than once really makes me mad. 3: it takes longer to cut and wears out blades faster because it's thicker. 4: more wasted material.

I almost cringe when a customer wants mega arbel. I have a 175' long sidewalk (4' wide) to do with mega arbel and I'm not looking forward to it. The only good thing about the side walk is that we can cut in place.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
cutting mega arbel does suck a big donkeys you know what. It has 4 things that I hate about it. 1: it's hard to measure if you have to butt it up against anything. 2: it's big and heavy so the old saying applies "measure twice cut once" because carrying a piece back to the saw more than once really makes me mad. 3: it takes longer to cut and wears out blades faster because it's thicker. 4: more wasted material.

I almost cringe when a customer wants mega arbel. I have a 175' long sidewalk (4' wide) to do with mega arbel and I'm not looking forward to it. The only good thing about the side walk is that we can cut in place.
When cutting mega arbel, put your tape measure away. Get a few sheets of heavy construction paper. Since all mega arbels are the same shape, just trace the shape on the construction paper and cut it out. When you are ready to cut, you just fold the paper over so it fits in the area and trace that shape onto a paver and cut. Piece of cake.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I found a pattern online that I can work from, but I do see the turtle shape now. I see 6 different pieces, right?