Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As an owner, when does your day begin & end?

Through the summer I'd be up around 7 and on the first property by 8 or so and work until 5 roughly but I'd continue with research, advertising planning, editing my website, handling books, etc until about 11 or midnight and then take an hr to watch a bit of tv to try to relax but I never really relax. My mind constantly is racing, thinking about number crunching, obtaining more work, efficiency, the list goes on.

Now that school has started just over a week ago, I'm up at 6-7, usually try to get something property related done or at least my equipment ready for when class gets done. I have class m/w 10-12 & 1230-230 and t/th 9-10 & 1230-230. It absolutely sucks going to school until 230 now that its dark at 8pm. It seems like I've worked til dark m-th since school began, and even a couple fridays before school had even started to finish installs. My wknds have for the most part been free but as we near clean ups, blowouts, aeration, dethatching, & final Fert apps that will change.
I got home from doing estimates tonight at 930 (worked in the field until 7) & worked on sending out bids until 115am tonight.

I know I'm a very determined individual & am definitely not the "standard" 21 yr old, however I enjoy every aspect about owning a business, especially at a young age. I do not stop thinking about business and have even dreamt about work/business. So in my eyes, I'd say I don't "clock out" from Monday until Fridays at 6-7pm when (if I'm not heading out to race motocross for the wknd) I'm headin out for beers with my buddies, then usually handle some bookkeeping Saturday afternoon for a couple hrs and then go out Saturday nights as well and relax for a good portion of the day Sunday but starting around 7/8pm I get things ready for the week and make sure my equipment is ready to go and then the week begins Monday again. Even during the off time on Fri/Sat/Sun, business is still on my mind. The only time I'm truly away from it all completely (to an extent) is when I'm at the motocross track camping & racing from Fri-Sun which is 1-3 wknds per month.
This was just on my mind and I wanted to know if anyone else is similar to me with stressing about their business & business finance damn near 24/7, especially the younger guys that are serious about this business & making it into a large & very profitable enterprise. I also think I may have had too much caffeine & that's why I'm wide awake on Lawnsite @ 2am when I gotta be up in 4.5 hrs...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 09-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I work half days, typically 6 to 6
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to entreprenuership. Or however you spell it.

At minimum half days, like duekster says. That's in the summer. When winter kicks in, then it's only 3/4 days. Or sometimes full days.

But, despite my best, I am pretty much always thinking about work. That's why I like my part time job, volunteer fireman. There is no choice but to focus entirely on the call.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like it never ends..... even after getting home there is always something to do off the clock.... maintenance, follow ups, thank you cards, yadda, yadda, yadda.....
Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

start at commercials at daylight, then onto residentials at 8 am till 5 or so then commercials until dark, until we are done for the week.
on days that it's 98-100 degrees we satart at daylight and work till 3 pm
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

day never really seems to end. even when you take yourself off the crew it doesnt end.

after awhile you will get use to the voices in your head telling you stay up late, watching videos, doing estimates. after years of this suddenly you will figure out which voice to listen too and which ones to ignore, thats when it gets a little easier.

the tuffer part can be confusing the voices with the shouting voices with the wife
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think about it often. I always want to improve. Need a couple beers to sleep or i will just lay in bed with my mind racing. Lately i have had other things on my mind from self inflicting things but i would much rather think about business and get back to the regular me. Im always up at 5 no matter what and for the most part think about working till a fall asleep at 10. Its always in the back of my mind at least
Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

up at 5am on first property by 7:30 drop guys off at shop around 4pm usually

Home by 5:30. I then take a shower make dinner for my wife and kids. Go make some calls,check e-mails then off to bed at 9. and start all over.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It never ends. Meet my guys at 630 in the morning and we are at the first lawn by 8, we finish the last lawn between 7-8pm. Then its back to the shop to sharpen blades, and do other misc maintenance. Get home around 930, eat dinner, answer emails, do invoices. Finally go to sleep around 12.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My day never ends. Usually ive always got something running through my head. If i think about something all day i will prolly dream about it.
Posted via Mobile Device