Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

opportunity to bid on snow and lawn care at a 15 million dollar home

I have a unique opportunity to bid on snow and lawn care at a 15 million dollar home. My next biggest is 10 million and I have had it for 3 years now.

What makes this new one different is that it is for sale.

I know what I would charge: $150/visit or $650/month for lawn care.
For snow I would charge $650 also per month, or my hourly snow rate.

Should I quote it /visit until sold, or per month, which I want to slowly start getting people to do anyway.

I am sure I got it no matter what my price is due to the connection that got me the opportunity. I am just curious because its for sale what others would consider doing with my numbers.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

without seeing the lawn and landscaping, and the driveway and sidewalks its tough to say anything for numbers, i would absolutely maintain it until its sold, i might not sell for years with this tough market. i understand whoever buys it is gonna have alot of money, but they are still gonna take some time to buy.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
without seeing the lawn and landscaping, and the driveway and sidewalks its tough to say anything for numbers, i would absolutely maintain it until its sold, i might not sell for years with this tough market. i understand whoever buys it is gonna have alot of money, but they are still gonna take some time to buy.
Thank you RSK,

Did you notice I provided my numbers? I know what I would charge, what I am asking is because the house is for sale, "how should I charge"? Should it be /visit or /month? I am open to ideas, but the numbers I already have.

I have started getting people to /month and all new signs were to be /month, but this one I could have for a month or a year.......
Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
Thank you RSK,

Did you notice I provided my numbers? I know what I would charge, what I am asking is because the house is for sale, "how should I charge"? Should it be /visit or /month? I am open to ideas, but the numbers I already have.

I have started getting people to /month and all new signs were to be /month, but this one I could have for a month or a year.......
i did notice you provided your numbers, but i misread the question. I would try to do per month if they will bite. also could you take pictures of this house and the landscaping, i love seeing big houses with nicely manicured lawns and landscaping, i hope to get into neighborhoods and houses like you are talking about. but it is not easy, especially around me with so many well established companies already in there.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a property for sale then per visit is the only way to do it. Who is paying to have it maintained?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
i did notice you provided your numbers, but i misread the question. I would try to do per month if they will bite. also could you take pictures of this house and the landscaping, i love seeing big houses with nicely manicured lawns and landscaping, i hope to get into neighborhoods and houses like you are talking about. but it is not easy, especially around me with so many well established companies already in there.
I hear that. I have had a house for 2 years at the entrance to this community in a hope to get a foot in. Only took me 2 seasons of waiting and doing a good job on that one house.

I will try to get pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
If it's a property for sale then per visit is the only way to do it. Who is paying to have it maintained?
Thanks Orange. I was thinking the same thing. Homeowner is paying. Homeowner hired someone I know to hire people for what needs to be done.

I am thinking of doing lawn at /visit where leaves would be a visit. Then snow I will offer monthly & Hourly pricing, and let homeowner decide.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
I hear that. I have had a house for 2 years at the entrance to this community in a hope to get a foot in. Only took me 2 seasons of waiting and doing a good job on that one house.

I will try to get pictures.

Thanks Orange. I was thinking the same thing. Homeowner is paying. Homeowner hired someone I know to hire people for what needs to be done.

I am thinking of doing lawn at /visit where leaves would be a visit. Then snow I will offer monthly & Hourly pricing, and let homeowner decide.
I'd quote them monthly then.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'd quote them monthly then.
I appreciate your advice, but would you care to educate me as to the reason for monthly?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd quote it monthly partly because you know someone involved, but also because if the house sold during the first or second week of a month, you'd not be out the remianing portion of the month. I highly doubt anyone with that much money who is trying to move that expensive of a house is going to ask for a refund on the remianing time for the month, or cut you off totally. They'll probably use it as a selling point to the new customer that lawn care is taken care of through the end of the month in which it sells. That could easily get you in the door with the new owners, especially if they like the work they see and don't have to start shopping for a new LCO.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I would break it down to a cost per visit per service.

Lawn Cut $

Hedges sheared $

Just put it on a Menu sheet and show what you can/can't/will do.