Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass Seed Germination

Is it normal to see grass seed germinate in some areas and not so much in other areas. It has only been 7 days and this is a TTTF fescue mix. Lesco Transtion Blend. I know I put seed down where the areas didnt germinate yet. Could some seed germinate quicker than others?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
Is it normal to see grass seed germinate in some areas and not so much in other areas. It has only been 7 days and this is a TTTF fescue mix. Lesco Transtion Blend. I know I put seed down where the areas didnt germinate yet. Could some seed germinate quicker than others?
Absolutely
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

This is completely normal. Does anyone know the percentage of seeds that will not germinate at all?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparish View Post
This is completely normal. Does anyone know the percentage of seeds that will not germinate at all?
With TTTF, around 85% germination is theoretically possible; in practice, it will be considerably less. However, that has nothing to do with the OP's concern about slow spots.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many times those slow spots can become never spots... there are so many reasons why those spots aren't germinating so before the others get too far along it doesn't hurt to overseed some more... especially when working with bare soil..
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Many times those slow spots can become never spots... there are so many reasons why those spots aren't germinating so before the others get too far along it doesn't hurt to overseed some more... especially when working with bare soil..
Maybe folks can help me on a closely related problem. I did a lawn with several bare spots that I seeded with KBG about 3 weeks ago. A little early for seeding in this area, but I tried it anyway. So now, a few seedlings have popped through sprouted, but what I mostly see is greenish "glow" color just under the soil surface, but its been sitting there doing nothing for a week now, just glowing green so to speak. At first, I thought it was moss, but it's not. It looks like seed that has germinated, but not popped through. Is this normal for KBG? Or should I assume the seed's second stage blew up after launch, which means I should give up and start again? I'd hate to rip it up if its just about to come up, but on the other hand, I can't wait too much longer if its going to get established in time.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, never mind my previous post. I went out to the property today, and guess what, the grass sprouted. I looked at the remaining "mossy area" (with my glasses on this time), and it was the grass seedlings like 1/32 of an inch out. I think the heat wave last week slowed them down, but now I think they are growing out.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen grass just sit at 1/2- 1 inch long for ever it seemed... it is normal for them to reach a certain height then put all of its energy to the root development... that is why I back off watering as soon as the seed comes through...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"With my glasses on" - I'll bet that does make a difference.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
"With my glasses on" - I'll bet that does make a difference.
Wonder what that does for the "green glow"?