Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

x-mas trees?

Are they worth it. I recently started a nursery this spring (small) to see how things would go and to tell you the truth things actually went very well.

Now thinking of x-mas tree sales. A local grocery store and farm store handle trees now but they dump them out, lean them against the building and there they sit. Yet they seem to sell most of them by x-mas day.

I am thinkiing 25 - 50 trees. Mid grade trees. 5-6 ft.

No idea on cost point or where I can get just that amount of trees.

Any thoughts.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Most place around me here in South Carolina want a minimum of 300 trees order. If not then they add $2 per tree. After pickup and all I was in for $20 a tree for a 5-6 ft tree. Hard to compete when the grocery store sells them for $25 a tree.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

plant some christmas trees in your nursery, it will take 5-6 yrs to reach six feet, or ball and burlap and you can sell them for installs at a much higher price
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

True with planting them. Just something to keep people in the door for an extra few days come this fall. So in other words maybe too much of a hassle for what's it worth.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To get more for your trees you have to give more. a better selection, a taller tree, a tube that puts the net on, a shaker machine that skakes off the excess dead needles. employees that load and strap trees on the roof rack, hot apple cider, Christmas carols over speakers. employees dressed as elves or at least in a santa hat. santa for kids laps. or a tree farm that lets you ride on a hay ride and cut your own tree.

people will pay double for a tree if they feel they got more experience with it. folks pay 12-15 bucks all day long for burgers at a really nice restaurant. You think that beef and bun costs any more per pound that down the street at the burger barn? folks pay for ambiance. memories.