Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Off Road vs On Road Fuel

Hello I am looking for some insight in regards to our fuel reimbursement. We use about $200,000 a year in gas. We have 16 trucks and 20 John Deere Z Trak mowers as well as blowers and wackers. We are trying to figure out a way to separate our off road and on road fuel so we can put an accurate number on the tax form for the off road. Right now we fill 100 gallon tanks on our 3 trucks and fill everything from there (gas cans for mowers and wackers) and trucks. Any suggestions. Filling every mower at the pump as a separate transaction? The only problem with that is we have 6 21 ft. enclosed trailers with our mowers in them. What does everyone else do? The government owes us the tax we pay on the fuel and we would like to get it without flagging an audit.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooleyPyne View Post
Hello I am looking for some insight in regards to our fuel reimbursement. We use about $200,000 a year in gas. We have 16 trucks and 20 John Deere Z Trak mowers as well as blowers and wackers. We are trying to figure out a way to separate our off road and on road fuel so we can put an accurate number on the tax form for the off road. Right now we fill 100 gallon tanks on our 3 trucks and fill everything from there (gas cans for mowers and wackers) and trucks. Any suggestions. Filling every mower at the pump as a separate transaction? The only problem with that is we have 6 21 ft. enclosed trailers with our mowers in them. What does everyone else do? The government owes us the tax we pay on the fuel and we would like to get it without flagging an audit.
This is why we run diesel, one tank at the shop for off and one for on. I'm sure you'll have to divide total fuel use by GPM for trucks and GPH for mowers to figure out your rebate.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do seperate transactions at the gas station for me. but i am on a smaller scale then you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

We have explored tanks before to have on site to fill out equipment. We ran into some landlord issues who does not want them on his property. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. install meeters on your tanks
2. create spreatsheet to track where the fuel is going, leave it on a clip board in the truck with the tanks.
3. enter it into excel every so often, and total the road and non road.

4. - note the "meters" that are avalible are not nearly as accurate as the ones at the gas pump. I would not buy the digital meter, it is not very accurate.

Check them for accuracy, never let your guys use the meter to mix 2 cycle. they should use a line drawn on the can that is known to hold 1/2/5 gals or what ever you do.

5. If you notice slight differences on the meter, just keep tracking it, and then add up the actual purchased fuel and use it like a percentage.

example I bought 100 gals total. My meter says I pumped 75 gals, but I did in fact use all 100 gals. if the meter claimed 30 gals when ito the mower

--- 30/75 = 40% x 100 acutal = 40 gals in the mower
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
1. install meeters on your tanks
2. create spreatsheet to track where the fuel is going, leave it on a clip board in the truck with the tanks.
3. enter it into excel every so often, and total the road and non road.

4. - note the "meters" that are avalible are not nearly as accurate as the ones at the gas pump. I would not buy the digital meter, it is not very accurate.

Check them for accuracy, never let your guys use the meter to mix 2 cycle. they should use a line drawn on the can that is known to hold 1/2/5 gals or what ever you do.

5. If you notice slight differences on the meter, just keep tracking it, and then add up the actual purchased fuel and use it like a percentage.

example I bought 100 gals total. My meter says I pumped 75 gals, but I did in fact use all 100 gals. if the meter claimed 30 gals when ito the mower

--- 30/75 = 40% x 100 acutal = 40 gals in the mower
This is what you have to do to be legal.

You need to track what goes in trucks and what goes in off road equipment. It is the only way short of different bulk tanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you have bulk tanks at your shop? If so you really only need to track one item the trucks. All the other fuel goes into machines. Regardless you will need a counter, our fuel system is managed by the fuel supply company so they do any repairs at their cost to the pumps or counters, which is great because they seem to break often!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
I assume you have bulk tanks at your shop? If so you really only need to track one item the trucks. All the other fuel goes into machines. Regardless you will need a counter, our fuel system is managed by the fuel supply company so they do any repairs at their cost to the pumps or counters, which is great because they seem to break often!
Don't assume. Read post #4.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Don't assume. Read post #4.
You know what they say about assumption
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We don't have onsite bulk storage. The easiest way I have found to track on and off road fuel is to fill separately. We have two cards in each truck, one for truck fuel and the other for equipment fuel. At any given time I can see my fuel account and sort buy equipment total, truck total, individual trucks, individual equipment cards. I can also see the driver number for any use.