Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
Need some help with a Fertilizer bid

i just started in the business this year and just received an inquiry for fertilizing and weed control. they do their own mowing but are looking to me for the rest. i am not licensed to spray anything so that is out...

1. how should i bid the job? most of it will be done with a riding mower and a pull behind spreader. a small area around the pool in the back will be a push spreader. if i was gonna bid it for mowing, i would bid $50-$60...

2. how many times a year should i fertilize for them? i mentioned 2-4 times and year and they are good with my recommendation. in otherwords, give me the cliff notes version of fertilizing/weed control granular style.

3. what type/brand fertilizer should i be looking to get for a fall application...?

4. do you guys mark up supply costs also?

oh, most of the grass is St. Augustine...



i need all the help i can get on this one as i have never done this except as a homeowner and had no particular regiment or anything...


thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Thanks for reminding me to send in the payment for the applicators class next month!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Thanks for reminding me to send in the payment for the applicators class next month!
you're welcome...

do you have any comments regarding my questions ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
you're welcome...

do you have any comments regarding my questions ?

Lesco was helpful with getting me started on my own property as did picking the people I sub out my fert to brains non stop. Using a sub also pretty well painted a picture of the market as well. So look at the bill and know what it takes in materials and I kinda put 2 and 2 together.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Think Green's Avatar
Think Green Think Green is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas--Mississippi flood plains
Posts: 2,695
Brown,
I am sure you are a great person and you mean well with your intentions. This forum will eat you alive with a question regarding pricing of services that requires a legal license from your State. Training on fertilization and proper knowledge of herbicides is learned first---then you will have yearly continuing educational courses to follow. Some states require working for a licensed company for a few years before sitting in on the exams. Kind of like for plumbing and electrical.
Members on this forum will not answer your question with direct answers, so please understand that members like myself cannot and will not advise you to apply anything that will result in revocation of your priviledge license......if you have one in your town, city or metro area.
First things first.!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Brown,
I am sure you are a great person and you mean well with your intentions. This forum will eat you alive with a question regarding pricing of services that requires a legal license from your State. Training on fertilization and proper knowledge of herbicides is learned first---then you will have yearly continuing educational courses to follow. Some states require working for a licensed company for a few years before sitting in on the exams. Kind of like for plumbing and electrical.
Members on this forum will not answer your question with direct answers, so please understand that members like myself cannot and will not advise you to apply anything that will result in revocation of your priviledge license......if you have one in your town, city or metro area.
First things first.!!
i have no problem with getting legal...

but it was my understanding i can spread granulated fertilizer without any license.... is that not true in TX?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Think Green's Avatar
Think Green Think Green is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas--Mississippi flood plains
Posts: 2,695
It may be true of Texas as It is here in Arkansas but the catch is the combination products.
You can do one but not both and be legal.
Some service providers will do it and keep getting away with the issue until the turf dies and then there is a call to the Agriculture department.

I wouldn't turn down the offer of fertilizing as you know that St. Auggie needs just as much feeding as bermuda grass.

when I was in my 20's and in training, I used to apply whatever the customer wanted to pay money for. I was illegal also...........my father ran this business and I was the peon!! I did what I had to do in order to gain knowledge in practices before I could even take the exams. Sometimes, it takes a good thief to be a CID officer.
The thing is when people start talking is when you get a visit from the State Ag. Inspector.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
It may be true of Texas as It is here in Arkansas but the catch is the combination products.
You can do one but not both and be legal.

Some service providers will do it and keep getting away with the issue until the turf dies and then there is a call to the Agriculture department.

I wouldn't turn down the offer of fertilizing as you know that St. Auggie needs just as much feeding as bermuda grass.

when I was in my 20's and in training, I used to apply whatever the customer wanted to pay money for. I was illegal also...........my father ran this business and I was the peon!! I did what I had to do in order to gain knowledge in practices before I could even take the exams. Sometimes, it takes a good thief to be a CID officer.
The thing is when people start talking is when you get a visit from the State Ag. Inspector.
so are you saying just a fertilizer might be okay, but say a weed-n-feed would not be?

thanks for your time... i am just trying to understand the rules, follow them and make money.

btw, i have been googling and looking at the TDA website, but still haven't found a definitive answer...

any texans out there care to comment?

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
ok, i was able to find out that i can legally spread granulated fertilizer but that is it. no weed-n-feed...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM
BROWNS LAWN CARE's Avatar
BROWNS LAWN CARE BROWNS LAWN CARE is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Collinsville, TX
Posts: 615
thank you tricounty...

i guess i figured some markup would be in order due to me driving, spending money and time to buy the fertilizer, but as some others on another site said. i can mark up labor a bit for that, but you don't want the customer see you charged them more for fertilizing then they could have bought it for...

i guess the key is how you itemize your invoice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.07593 seconds with 7 queries