Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying first ZRT mower. Help!!

I am in the market to purchase my first zero turn mower and have been introduced to and have demoed the scagg cheetah. After talking with many dealers, guys, and owners it still seems to lean toward the cheetah as to what I should do from what everybody is telling me. Then I found this site whle looking for scagg cheetah reviews. You guys do this for a living so I will be appreciative for any help you guys can offer.

I mow approximately 15 acres every two weeks where I live in South Mississippi. Most of our yard is wide open and flat which makes me look at the cheetah. Also I mow a 2500ft by 150ft flat grass landing strip (8.5 acres) every two weeks with a Kubota 57 Hp 7.5ft woods finishing mower with a max speed of 5.5 MPH. Takes me a minimum of 2.5 hrs to mow and about 3.5 hrs to mow the rest. Total of 6 hrs. Killing me. Been running a 54" Cub Cadet GT5400 (TRASH MOWER). Can't believe Im about to spend $10K on a mower!! But Im tired of spending all my time mowing on Saturdays which are practically my only days off.

Looking at the Scag TT vs the Cheetah. Can't imagine mowing at 16mph seems impossible but if it truely will I have a place to prove it. A landing strip. Surely it will mow grass that hasn't been mowed in 2 weeks at 12mph. This would cut it down for sure in half the time. Ive been told the cheetah was a time machine. But I am wondering if it is as good quality of a machine as the Scag TT. Thats a lot of money to spend on a machine that better last me for years! I was impressed with the suspension ride and knows those that bought it just for that. I think people are fooling themselves if you think its going to have a quality cut at 16mph! Thats a joke. But the ride would be more comfortable. But I want durability.

Dealer here makes an order tomorrow. Was quoted a price on a new cheetah 72 with Kawasaki at $9800. About to pull the trigger! Help please.

72 Scag Turg Tiger or 72 Scag Cheetah for my needs. What to do? Thanks!

Hotrod
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

[Don't buy anything with out doing a demo first, ]Don't let a dealer pressure you into a sale. Then look at who is going to take care of you after the sale, I do all my business with a JD dealer that is 90 miles away.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help but I did demo the cheetah. Just not sure which unit would be most advantageous to me for my needs. Scag turf tiger or the cheetah? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's hard to imagine anything mowing well at even 12mph, either way it sounds like you'll be happy with either. the thing about speed when mowing is any bumps will cause you to slow down. demo both side by side and see which you like best, either one will last a long time for you. say 4 hours to mow it all every two weeks your only looking at roughly 100hrs a year, and that would be year round mowing