Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota ZD331 Power Loss

I have two new ZD331's. Both have about 30 hours on them. One of the units will run like a scalded dog. The other runs great for about 30 minutes or so and once it warms up it feels like it goes from a 31 hp unit to a 21 hp unit. I am carrying it back to dealer again on Tuesday to see if they can get it right. Has anyone on here had a similar type problem with these mowers?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
I have two new ZD331's. Both have about 30 hours on them. One of the units will run like a scalded dog. The other runs great for about 30 minutes or so and once it warms up it feels like it goes from a 31 hp unit to a 21 hp unit. I am carrying it back to dealer again on Tuesday to see if they can get it right. Has anyone on here had a similar type problem with these mowers?
WOW! Good Luck with that one...Let us know what happens?

I remember shortly after my purchase of a ZD326. I was mowing an the mower seemed to be low on power. I was mowing a slight uphill area with lush green grass. On the down hill slope I was fine but the uphill side it really pulled the little engine hard. I looked around at a couple of simple things and finally looked under the deck........I couldn't believe the amount of grass stuck under that deck! Actually I had never cleaned it out so I should have expected it. Cleaned the deck out and all was well! trooper I'm not indicating I think this is your problem just commenting and hoping yours is as simple!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the injection pump is crapping out
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
Sounds like the injection pump is crapping out
at 30 hours?
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in what you find out. I have a new 331 60" and I am thinking I dont have the power that I should with this mower either. I also have the bagger and when that is on it seems very doggy. I would think the bagger would effect it some but this mower should have a ton of power. I have talked to dealer and they told me to bring it in and they would do some stuff to it that Kubota doesnt recommend but would solve any power issues I may have.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

As soon as I find out what the problem is, I will post it. I mowed my yard Saturday and noticed that after about 30 to 40 minutes of mowing it started to show the power loss. The first 30 minutes or so, it would cut like heck. Then it would begin to bog down to the point of having to slow down to recover power. I shut the unit off and let it sit for about an hour to cool down. When I started back mowing, the same thing occurred. After about 30 minutes the power loss was very noticeable. I also noticed that the temprature gauge was holding well above the half way mark, unlike my other 331 that hardly ever gets to the half way mark. Very puzzling!! I am having the DFS system installed on the more powerful unit today. I don't think the one with the power loss could handle it.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck and keep us posted. You will love that bagger. I think it is the easiest bagger to install ever. The only thing I really don't like about it is the flexible hose. I would rather have a molded plastic tube. You will have to let me know if they put any kind of clamp on the hose coming out of the blower. My dealer told me they don't because that way if it plugs you can just take it off easy. I just put a screw down through mine and carry my cordless drill behind the seat. Works great for me. Does a good job but I am going to get a set of G6 blades to elimanate the blow out you get from the stock high lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a fuel filter to me
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like it might be getting insufficient lubrication in the engine to me just going by the way it acts in your descriptions.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Sounds like it might be getting insufficient lubrication in the engine to me just going by the way it acts in your descriptions.
I was thinking the same thing, that or a cooling problem.. Is it eating coolant? Water in the oil? Could be a head gasket leak. Could also be a blocked water passage or something wrong with the water jacket itself.