Register free!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Repair dead spots

I had a new customer ask me the best way to repair a lawn after a hot summer, with lack of watering. the lawn has nice full green areas, and spots of total death. I am assuming its due to the completely dry summer we have had, but it could also be grubs, altho customer said he used grub control. There is quite a bit of dead spots so I recommended a complete lawn thatching, Aerating, and overseeding. What do you guys think? This is a little out of my comfort zone, and i don't want to waste my time, and the customers money.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dethatching is a waste of money and aerating for seeding is a waste of money... use that money to put down seed(preferably with a garden weasel workup) and cover with compost... manual labor may appear unprofessional nowdays, but it will get results better than even a slit seeder...
Funny you mentioned 2 machines that don't do seeding, and neglected the one machine that does...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And Mr Ojay,
from my point of view...put down plenty of seed. Double or triple the usual rate. Water it every day for 30 days.
Considering the amount of labor involved and the slow results. Consider sod...looks better and its just so quick.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This time of year, water isn't that critical, especially in the midst of already established turf... too much water is the norm and it actually hinders germination in the sense that KBG isn't a swamp weed... if the surface of the ground dries out this time of year from the sun, that means the seed is getting warmth and light, both necessary for germination... give it a sprinkle at that time without soaking the already drenched ground and that will encourage the seedling a little further along... this is another time that people should look into their rootzones and take an honest look at the moisture levels of their soils...