Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two Questions

I know this is odd but I got a call the other from a client saying his yard look awful. So I went out and checked it looked like it was going dormant this was about two weeks ago. At that time my yards were just starting to show signs of slowing down this was well ahead of it. Looked like there was excess clippings but they were spare and scattered through out the yard. I was thinking that he wasn't cutting at proper intervals and was bagging to take the clippings and the brown was from hacking so much off. Well went out the other day and it again looked like it was going dormant some green some brown say 50/50 split. Which is still ahead of the others. So question one I have pics from my visit right after he called. What are your thoughts is it mowing or is there something I'm missing. Question two I attached a pick of some weeds I suspect its Bahai coming through, but I haven't seen it up enough to see seed heads to be sure. Thoughts?

Thanks guys
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some more pics as well.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I surmise that this lawn is Tifton 419 that has been mowed way too tall to perform well with sudden temperature inversions. We just started having a impulse of army worm invasions way too late in the season. In September!!!!--not normal at all!
I can't help but notice that this lawn is not flat or slightly easy to mow as for the circular scalps here and there. Other than that, it appears that you guys has had a sudden cool spell that will make this bermuda look terrible. I don't suppose this customer is watering way too much...........as the sod in the lower section looks a little rolled and damp. How long has any fertilizing been done??
I would check for grubs, bermuda mites, sod webworms, and then look for the army worm.

That weed in your hand is a nutsedge sprout, no stolons or rhizomes yet.
Have you performed any type of preemerge or postemerge yet?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think Green,

I did prem this spring (barricade) no prem yet I wanted to aerate first which I dii yesterday so it will get hit in a week or so. Last app was Trimec Southern & Dismiss South. Next post will be Dismiss South spot sprayed. I didnt see much else but I might mix celsius to spot spray any other spots I see and it will get barricade again. Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

When bermuda is kept at at higher heighth and the top part that has the leaf blade mowed off late in the season will look like this as it is slow to recover. When maintaining bermuda at this high you have to raise the mowing height later in the year. It may also be running out of nitrogen, when was the last app of fert?

The green weed coming up looks like sedge to me.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last N app was right at 5 weeks ago slow release.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you guys are seeing something I'm not. I don't think the lawn looks too bad, considering its the end of September and we just finished up a long dry summer. I think most of the pix look fine. A couple of the ones focusing on the nutsedge show some browning bermudagrass, but I think most of the zoomed out shots of the lawn look fine.

I don't see anything that mowing lower would fix. There's some scalping and some uneven cuts, but that's all I see on the mechanical side. Are the leaf tips shredded from a dull mower blade?

To provide an explanation to the customer, I might start looking into environmental factors. Is this area recovering from drought, or was it well watered through the summer? Is it in full sun, partial sun, or full shade? What time of day does it get sun, morning or afternoon? How long does it get sunlight? Are some spots better than others? What's different between the good and bad areas?

This is also primetime for fall armyworm, so that would be worth checking on, but the pictures don't indicate that problem.

I would also stay away from aeration of bermudagrass in the fall. You usually want to aerate when the turf is growing most vigorously, which is summer for bermudagrass. Aerating warm season lawns in the fall isn't going to kill the lawn, but it will make recovery from aeration slower and could send it off-color a bit faster when the cool temps hit. I wouldn't want to be the first brown lawn in the neighborhood in the fall.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in new England so I can't comment on your turf .
That wee certainly looks like nutsedge.
Good luck to all!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Looks like sedge to me too.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Baxter,
I went back through the photo's quite a bit slower than before my original response.
I totally didn't read where you stated the owner mow's his own lawn. For this, I can see in the second or third photo around the perimeter of the house, the grass isn't line trimmed and is definitely taller than the cut. The edging along the outer perimeter is lanky to say the least. I can bet you this customer waited a bit too long to cut after keeping his lawn at a certain height. Bermuda will outgrow the green and cause yellowing deep within unless it is kept at a certain height each week. The owner cut way too much off and scalped some areas. What else can you say.............he got in a fix, mowed it lower to keep up and caused his own poor response. I do not suspect any armyworm damage anymore, all I can see is a poor mechanically manicured lawn. In his case, the lawn should have been cut one more notch higher than the last to ensure color and divot troubles. Fert this late in the season for me would prove futile unless your growing season is a little longer than ours.
I apologize if you ran back over there for insect inspections, so pass this along to the customer. I would waste my breath as you will with explaining what happened then to tell him the lawn needs to outgrow the yellow. Watering, and fert is all that is left as long as there is more weeks of warmer weather to correct the issue.