Register free!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ECHO SHR-210 gas powered backpack mods

Does anybody have any experience with the ECHO SHR-210 in the way of modifications? I'm thinking of getting one and will want to modify it for turfgrass applications with a 50 psi max pressure regulator/bypass and a new wand that will take TeeJet tips. Looks simple to do except for the pump outlet port. I'm not sure what the thread is. From the factory there is a T screwed into it that has an O ring and locknut. I would like to remove that and connect to the pump outlet with my own T for the adjustable pressure bypass back to the recirculation and the spray hose. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use both the Maruyama and Solo engine drive backpacks for pressure regulated spray applications. The Echo has a fixed orifice on the line back to the tank. I would not touch that. What I would do is put standard 1/4" stainless steel flow through quick couplers as is used on pressure washers. Then I fit a Watts 263 adjustable regulator between the hose and the spray wand. You can use any of the Teejet hand pieces once the hose is converted to 1/4" quick couplers. Set up this way, I am able to make precise and controlled applications to ornamentals or lawns.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember now about you talking about that before. Does the Maruyama have recirculation? I don't believe the Solo does. I like the 4 stroke Kawi engine on the new Solos but I would prefer to have recirculation which is why I was looking at the ECHO.

As far as changing the plumbing on the Echo I think you are right. Much easier to just put a pressure regulator on the output. I didn't like that fixed orifice that Echo uses for the recirculation so my thought was to replace it with a pressure relief valve that opens at the set pressure sending the mix back into the tank. But the more I think about it I don't think the recirculation connection to the tank is large enough to dump the pressure. The test would be to just remove the orifice and see what the pressure goes down to while holding the handpiece open with tip you want to use.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both the Maruyama and Solo bypass excess pressure from the pump back to the tank. I also consider the fact that when using one of these units, you are walking. To apply 1 gallon per 1000, I am walking around 2 MPH using an AI11004 tip set at 40 PSI. If I have the 3 nozzle boom, I am definitely moving. That set up is passing 1.2 GPM.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo sprayer uses a mini centrifugal pump rather than the duplex piston pumps on the other machines. According to the specs, that pump is good for 140 and your pressure is adjustable via engine throttle. Application volume is a max of 1.3 GPM. I really appreciate the high output of the Maruyama for spraying trees. That one is good for 1.9 GPM, enough to drive a tree gun with a 1.5 MM orifice.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From what you are saying I think I'm going to forget the Echo and go with the Maruyama. Looks like a much better pump and they make their own engines. I do see where they mention agitation, must have missed it. Also, Solo uses a Honda 4 stroke, not a Kawasaki if anybody is interested. These things are all about the same price give or take around $50 so I might as well go with what I think is the better machine.

Thanks for the help.