Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

How many of you run your business out of your house?

I was wondering how many of you guys run out of your house (garage), or pole barn on your property? Do you have your employees park on the driveway if you have any working for you? City/Neighbors OK with you running a business out of your home?

My current situation is I rent storage units and use them to store everything and run out of them. Don't have the space at my current house. Have my help meet me near where will work (I like that b/c I don't have to pay for drive time back/forth from shop area for them). They like it too b/c they don't have to fight traffic and are closer to home. We are looking at moving soon to be able to build a home and pole barn on some property, but wondered if City or the neighbors near cared about you running a business in your backyard.
52" Lesco Hydro WB
52" Exmark Turf Tracer HP
48" Wright Stander
All Stihl Blowers/ Weedeaters
7'6 BOSS Plow
18' Pullers Pride trailer
Misc. lawn equipment.

Picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=369060
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...35#post4386735
Old 09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on your location. Every city will have different restrictions.
I am not even supposed to bring a lettered truck home and let it sit in the driveway.

I personally like to keep home and business separate and would look to find a home and another piece of land for your shop.
But others like to combine the two.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why rent or buy commercial property when you have 1 truck, 1 trailer, 1 employee that parks his car in front of your house?

Why raise one's overhead costs when you don't have to?

Many people confuse needs with wants.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do.

I live in a residential neighborhood (small lots/houses seperated by the width of a driveway) and there are restrictions on what I can/can not do/have on my property.
I needed to apply for a home occupancy permit (one time fee $75) and be approved by the board - otherwise it's a no-go for running a business from home.

I did notify my neighbors of my intentions beforehand. Several offered to write "letters of recommendation" for me and did so for me to present to the board.

Employees are not permitted to park at my home.
No "stockpiling" materials.
No "commercial vehicles". (I didn't inquire, but I assume they mean really big stuff)
No excessive noise related to said business.
Blah. Blah. Blah...

Overall, it was common sense stuff and I'm OK with all of the "restrictions" because it's a "neighborhood" - it shouldn't look and sound like a damned construction site.

Right now there's a guy that just moved in down the street and he parks this big, old, ratty-looking panel truck on the street. I don't know what he uses it for, or how long he plans on leaving it there, but looks like hell, and I wouldn't blame anyone for calling it in.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a crew and 3 or more trucks id say get a shop. Otherwise, save some $$$ and put it towards better things! Good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I park my truck and trailers at home. Since I go to peoples houses to cut lawns they don't bring them to me. So I don't work out of my house.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
I park my truck and trailers at home. Since I go to peoples houses to cut lawns they don't bring them to me. So I don't work out of my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Say that again makes no sense...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Say that again makes no sense...
Saying he doesn't work from home because he goes to the clients home! LOL! Good one! But original question was "How many run their business from home?" Not "How many work from home?"

I run from home. I have 2 of everything & work by myself. 2 trucks, first truck is backup, 2 trailers, first one is backup & 2 walkbehinds 44" & first one (36") is backup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 09-23-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post

I dont work out of my house but a friend of mine in the business that lives down the street from me and has 5 acres with pole barn and home does keep 5 trucks at his property. The codes guy was looking around and was asking if he runs his business out of his house, he said "NO i dont, but I do own these trucks and can have people pick them up and drop them off anytime I want !"

Codes guy has not bothered him since.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have ran my business out of my home here in Indy for over four years, neighbors don't care much cause I cut their small yards. Don't have any workers just my wife and I, so no parking issues. Love the threads keep the info, tips, and personal experiences in this industry coming. Thanks everyone !
Posted via Mobile Device