Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Made a mistake

Long story short, we did a large grading project, client decided to raise the grade of a portion of his yard more. We brought in and graded an extra 70 yards of soil, customer signs change.

The change caused the customer to be $2,500 over budget. So at the end of the project, I had the customer pay the orginal amount, then we agreed to pay the change order of $2,500 30 days later.

Mistake was I did this on a handshake agreement, now I can't get a hold of the guy.

Anyone else make this kind of mistake before and what kind of clever ways did you use to handle it.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the change order have a price on it ?

How long has he dodged you ?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't call them On the phone, don't send emails.

Go about a week of not bothering them. Then pay a personal, friendly visit on like a Fri night or Sunday mid morning.

Catch them off guard.

Zedo doesn't believe in contracts and legalities. But I do!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, when you do get in contact with them, do not accept the check is in the mail line. Make them give you post dated checks and deposit them on the dates on the checks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call and tell him you are starting the process of putting a lien on his house. You can put a lien on his property for practically nothing, and most of the time it will scare the bejeesus out of him.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I would call and tell him you are starting the process of putting a lien on his house. You can put a lien on his property for practically nothing, and most of the time it will scare the bejeesus out of him.
In most states that's easier said than done.

In order to put a lien on a property, all owners listed on the deed must sign the agreement. So if the agreement is in my name and I sign it, but our house is deeded to both myself and my wife - you can't put a valid, sticking lien on the property as my wife didnt agree to the work done. Doin so is called "defamation of title".

So with that said - I go to the real data website and I write my contracts so they are in the name of all parties listed on the deed

Also, in this day and age - us little old contractors would have last dibs on any money if and when the property is sold. So many properties are under water, the property worth less than is owed. If the property were sold - it's unlikely and secondary lien holders would see a dime. I plan on living in my home till I die. Put all the liens on my house you want, the check is in the mail........after I'm dead!

Best thing to do is be sneaky. Catch the guy in person at home on a Sunday morning around 10:30 am. Trust me, he will totally be off guard. So much so, that he won't be able to talk straight.

Something else I do is I will use cell phones of my personal friends when I call people that owe me money. Many of my friends have company issued cell phones. I'm in MD, but I have one friend with a cell phone with a Philly PA number and another friend with an Illinois number. This trick almost ALWAYS trips up the customer! And if it doesnt work - no biggie, the customer doesnt know that the Illinois number was me trying to call. SO I then wait it out a few days and pay them a weekend visit.

Another thought - here it is 7:22 PM sunday evening. I'm home, you're probably home, and all my neighbors are home. This is also a perfect time for an unannounced visit. Think about it, use psychology - most everyone's mind is on preparing to return to work in the morning, the last thing we're thinking about is Andrew Hardscape coming out for a visit.

Another option is to pay the client a visit at work (if you know where they work). I have done this once, the lady wrote me a check on a closed checking acct. And I know another member here made a work place collection visit and was successful in obtaining payment.

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens. I love this kind of stuff!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-23-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
In most states that's easier said than done.

In order to put a lien on a property, all owners listed on the deed must sign the agreement. So if the agreement is in my name and I sign it, but our house is deeded to both myself and my wife - you can't put a valid, sticking lien on the property as my wife didnt agree to the work done. Doin so is called "defamation of title".

So with that said - I go to the real data website and I write my contracts so they are in the name of all parties listed on the deed

Also, in this day and age - us little old contractors would have last dibs on any money if and when the property is sold. So many properties are under water, the property worth less than is owed. If the property were sold - it's unlikely and secondary lien holders would see a dime. I plan on living in my home till I die. Put all the liens on my house you want, the check is in the mail........after I'm dead!

Best thing to do is be sneaky. Catch the guy in person at home on a Sunday morning around 10:30 am. Trust me, he will totally be off guard. So much so, that he won't be able to talk straight.

Something else I do is I will use cell phones of my personal friends when I call people that owe me money. Many of my friends have company issued cell phones. I'm in MD, but I have one friend with a cell phone with a Philly PA number and another friend with an Illinois number. This trick almost ALWAYS trips up the customer! And if it doesnt work - no biggie, the customer doesnt know that the Illinois number was me trying to call. SO I then wait it out a few days and pay them a weekend visit.

Another thought - here it is 7:22 PM sunday evening. I'm home, you're probably home, and all my neighbors are home. This is also a perfect time for an unannounced visit. Think about it, use psychology - most everyone's mind is on preparing to return to work in the morning, the last thing we're thinking about is Andrew Hardscape coming out for a visit.

Another option is to pay the client a visit at work (if you know where they work). I have done this once, the lady wrote me a check on a closed checking acct. And I know another member here made a work place collection visit and was successful in obtaining payment.

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens. I love this kind of stuff!

Can you expand on the real data website?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Can you expand on the real data website?
This is usually offered by the state or by the county.

Maryland Gov't has a site that lists every single piece of real estate in the state.
Here is the link:
http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/
To see how it works, click on Montgomery County, then type in RIVER for the street address. Then from
There all properties on River Road will come up.

In VA, the real data sites are provided by the individual counties, not the state. Here is an example: http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/search/commonsearch.aspx?mode=address

So if your county or state even has a real data web site , you need to do a google search. Use words like "real property data" "real property tax records", "real property records".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Change order was signed. Been almost 2 weeks now.

I will have to just pay them that visit I guess. This is what I hate about owning a business more then anything.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On a separate note, 2500 for 70 yes of topsoil... For me that would be way on the cheap side. How did you come up with your price?