Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In praise of Old Trucks

I have 2 old trucks that I use in business that have both been great buys. Especially as the years ad on.
The first one is a '94 Ford F-350. It has the idi 7.3 diesel with a 5 speed. I have worked this poor truck much harder than I should have and it keeps delivering the goods. Purchase price was below $5000 and yearly maintenance is around $500. It will never win a race but continues to make me money.
The second old truck I bought is a '79 Chevy C65 gasser. I was able to pay cash and love not having the monthly notes for it. It easily hauls 5 tons with the help of good gearing. Yearly repairs seem to average $500. I can park it for a couple months hop in and go. It has been a great truck.
The reason I am bringing this up is it seems many are concerned with the newest latest truck and crazy horsepower. I wanted to point out that plenty of money can be made with older trucks in good shape. Maybe the older trucks should be at least considered when expanding a business. I'm sure some others have similar stories and would like to hear them. Maybe pictures wouldn't hurt either.
Take care,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

good post, its true!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Older trucks are the way to go. Generally easier to maintain, and no monthly payments. A lot less electronics and computer stuff that will, at some point, fail.
I am using a 1993, Chevy Kodiak, to haul in the wood for my firewood business. It is easy to work on, and paid for.
Also have an 12 year old Dodge 3500 diesel, for firewood deliveries. Again, easy to work on, and paid for. No more $35,000 - $50,000 trucks for me, when the old iron will get the job done.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I loved my 1985 Chevy K-20...tough, reliable, easy to work on and parts were cheap and plentiful. Unfortunately road salt was the death of it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=1985+chevy
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yet there's a dude on the picture forum bragging about his $72,000 Dodge 1 ton. Something tells me it's full of bs, however.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I see guys all around here pulling trailers full of mowing equipment with high dollar, decked out, 4x4 pickups. What a waste of money. Those 4x4 trucks will probably never be used in 4x4 mode, except for some playtime in the mud. All those fancy bells and whistles do nothing to make the truck do a better job, and those guys are paying $50,000 plus for them.
I just don't get it. Some kind of ego trip or macho thing I guess.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I see guys all around here pulling trailers full of mowing equipment with high dollar, decked out, 4x4 pickups. What a waste of money. Those 4x4 trucks will probably never be used in 4x4 mode, except for some playtime in the mud. All those fancy bells and whistles do nothing to make the truck do a better job, and those guys are paying $50,000 plus for them.
i disagree...at some point, those "great ol' trucks" are going to wear out...also, image means a lot to me, so i'm not going to be rolling around town in a 1989 rusted out truck...and 4x4 is necessary for snow removal, and i hate to say it, but getting stuck behind the shop dumping debris ha...

you also have to consider the tax benefits of buying a brand new truck, it's not just an ego trip for some guys...

yes, most of the new higher horsepower and torque is prob not necessary for most of what we do, but there are times when it's nice to have...

i agree that the newer they get the more **** they have on them therefore the more expensive they are to repair and more to go wrong...

i have an '08 super duty "decked out." i absolutely love my truck and i feel great about driving it every single day
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.
wouldn't u want 4x4 in Jersey?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know it depends. It sure seems like there are no free lunches with trucks, equipment seems to be way better. My first 450 I bought used was a huge mistake. If I would have bought a new one instead, I would still be using it. I added up one time and I spent more keeping that old horse running than what a new truck cost.

One part is how 'important' is that one truck to your business? Does everything depend on it? The other thing - I sure like crawling in a truck that is nice to drive, air, automatic...