Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
holy PITA

This lady has been quiet for a while and easy going. Tell her I'll br there today to get her stuff trimmed. She's been calling every night to remind me. Calls at 815 wondering where I am. Tell her getting diesel and I'll be on my way. Go to start truck and its dead. So I give her a call to tell her it will be a little later. She tells me I have personal problems, and demands I give her a time I'll be there. I simply couldn't because I don't know if its a simple fix or not. Then I tell her tis find someone else to do her work. She said send a worker or another company. I am solo in summer and fall, so there's no one to send. It's up to her find someone else. Then she said not everyone would give me a second chance. I tell her not everyone is as impatient as her. I was really getting pissed at her because she just keeps rambling on telling me that I'm not dependable and its one thing after another. I said I'm done with this shat and find some one else. She mumbled something about my wording. I don't remember what I said. So she asked again what time I would be there. I tell o don't know and I didn't plan on this. She tells me it gets dark at 7. I say its not an all day job. She says it takes forever. I tell her that I've done this many times. She says not here you haven't. I said I've done many jobs and cut the same, so I know how long it takes. Then she tells me how to proceed. I said yes you've made it clear at least 10 times already. And that was the end of the conversation. I think I need to type something up because this is terrible. I just couldn't get through to her, and she made me into someone I'm not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Sorry for the long story. It just pissed me off so bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM
ncnurseryman ncnurseryman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 121
I say run and run fast far away from her. That's not worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Weekend cut easymoney Weekend cut easymoney is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas-The Hilly part
Posts: 3,663
older folks have to be treated with kid gloves many times ...many have nothing better to do than expect you to show up as you are the entertainment for the week--

I don't make appointments and don't give customers that level of direct communication...

I use mostly email so I can document everything and have an answering machine that people can leave a message...it gets text messaged to me immediately, so I can decide what calls are important to return immediately or which ones can wait until I am in the office in front of a computer so I can answer scheduling questions or billing-

many folks on here will argue about how important it is to always answer the phone immediately lest you miss out on a sale...somewhat true, though as a single operator, you need to be efficient with your time...talking on the phone all day instead of working is a rough life and not very efficient as people tend to go on and on about non work related things...I used to answer phone calls twice each day, noon, 5/6 pm

---email is so much easier and folks using email don't give you as much gruff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
older folks have to be treated with kid gloves many times ...many have nothing better to do than expect you to show up as you are the entertainment for the week--

I don't make appointments and don't give customers that level of direct communication...

I use mostly email so I can document everything and have an answering machine that people can leave a message...it gets text messaged to me immediately, so I can decide what calls are important to return immediately or which ones can wait until I am in the office in front of a computer so I can answer scheduling questions or billing-

many folks on here will argue about how important it is to always answer the phone immediately lest you miss out on a sale...somewhat true, though as a single operator, you need to be efficient with your time...talking on the phone all day instead of working is a rough life and not very efficient as people tend to go on and on about non work related things...I used to answer phone calls twice each day, noon, 5/6 pm

---email is so much easier and folks using email don't give you as much gruff
Email doesn't fly with most older people. I get text on occasions.

Here's an example.... Wtfay? Mgisl. Untbhasap. Anyone want to decode that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
TNGrassCutter's Avatar
TNGrassCutter TNGrassCutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Email doesn't fly with most older people. I get text on occasions.

Here's an example.... Wtfay? Mgisl. Untbhasap. Anyone want to decode that?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll take a stab at it. Where the f are you? My grass is so long. U need to be here asap. If that's correct these people would not be my customer any longer nor get a reply. I'm not going to have someone talking to me like I'm their 16 year old son.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I'll take a stab at it. Where the f are you? My grass is so long. U need to be here asap. If that's correct these people would not be my customer any longer nor get a reply. I'm not going to have someone talking to me like I'm their 16 year old son.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you are correct. She might get a cancelation letter for next spring. By the way it was all weeds not grass. That was my reply back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,428
Customers need to understand stuff happens. Even though we have backup trucks/mowers/trailers sometimes they won't cooperate either. Any customer that can't understand that... I refuse to work for.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
rbljack rbljack is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 566
this is very true of older customers. Sometimes they can be hard to deal with. I was asked last month to put down fertilizer for a customer, and took care of it in a timely manner. This couple has also had their lawn sprayed professionally in the spring to treat for weeds. Well, last time I went to mow, he asked me where I bought the fertilizer because there were weeds in his lawn and he felt like the weed seeds were mixed in with the fertilizer. Well, you can imagine how the rest of the conversation went, but i had to reassure him that it wasnt the fertilizer that brought the weeds in.

No amount of talking will change their mind. They are set in their ways. Additinally, its true that they dont get out much, and we are their entertainment, or people to talk too. I have to plan when I mow this partilcular yard, because its guaranteeed that I will be talking to this cpl after mowing for at least 15-20 minutes. Thats time I could be spent mowing. These are just a few examples of unforseen problems that can come up..LOL. But, its all part of the customer service. They arent just paying me to cut their lawn (in the case of this couple). They look forward to me showing up, so they can tell me im mowing too fast, or missing spots, or not cutting it short enough.

He blames me because I havent been there in a week, and the grass is taller around the concrete then the rest of his yard that is burnt up in the middle of summer, even though I have suggested that he let me leave the lawn a bit taller in the heat of summer...LOL..its never ending.
__________________
Equipment Stolen/ Please Help and watch for:
6.5x12 Dual Ramp Trailer with 3 place trimmer rack and two blower racks
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Weekend cut easymoney Weekend cut easymoney is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas-The Hilly part
Posts: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Email doesn't fly with most older people. I get text on occasions.

Here's an example.... Wtfay? Mgisl. Untbhasap. Anyone want to decode that?
Posted via Mobile Device
I focus on professional folks...not older folks..just a difference on where too focus
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.08664 seconds with 7 queries