Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Backstabbed from Friend and what I thought "GOOD" customer

Well I have known my friend since I was 15 and I am now 28. I broke my hand and had him work with me for a month. He knew the ins and outs of my business pretty well. I have this customer that I mowed his lawn for 2 years then he had money problems since he didn't realize he couldn't afford his $2M house. Well I do work for them once in a while like trim boxwoods or cut the grass when his mower breaks. KEEP IN MIND when I mow his neighbors I actually cut his hill that joins there's because I am a nice guy and do it for free.

Getting back to the story he wanted a price to trim branches that were hanging over to these other neighbors that sent a lawyer to write a letter to them. Well I brought my so called friend since he needed money and agreed on a price which I though was high. My customer goes the price is good and I will let you do it in October because I am tight on money and I am in no rush. Well a month or two goes by and today I see on my facebook page that my friend told his friend that is a landscaper about the job! I saw the picture and it stated " NO TREE JOB IS TOO SMALL" I knew something was up because my friend got mad when my hand healed fast and stopped talking to me and he is the type that opens his big fat mouth. I never trusted him with girls but I guess I can't trust him with business.

What should I do??? I was thinking of talking to the customer and go from there or ignore my friend and customer and never mow that steep hill again. IDK I am real pissed off. I needed that money too for the winter.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There's no room for friends in this business. Move on find another ave .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
There's no room for friends in this business. Move on find another ave .
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep FAMILY(friends) & MONEY completely separate. I do not care how good you THINK it is going to be....It will show its face one day...
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So this guy lives in a two million dollar house but needs you to mow for free, which you do. Your buddy backstabs you over a self admitted overpriced tree job. He gets legal notice and is in no hurry to rectify the situation.

I question the lack of good sense in any of you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So this guy lives in a two million dollar house but needs you to mow for free, which you do. Your buddy backstabs you over a self admitted overpriced tree job. He gets legal notice and is in no hurry to rectify the situation.

I question the lack of good sense in any of you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was waiting for someone like you to post something so ignorant and an answer that is way out of bounds. There is a patch of grass that my ex customer can't mow so I take a quick pass or two since my mower can handle a steep incline and because of that they give me side work since I don't mow there lawn anymore unless like I stated his mower breaks or if there having a party or something. There is nothing wrong when it comes to mowing for FREE if the area is small. I got a $400 brush job in a different town 5 days ago because I mowed a strip of grass on the customer's neighbors walkway. The neighbor said I chose you because you mowed the strip of grass on the walkway that separates my lawn and there's. He told me there isn't many landscapers that are generous and kind. (It's hard to find customer's that appreciate good will people like me and he didn't take it for granted.)

Going back to the subject, to me the price was a little high since any shmuck can do it $50-$100 cheaper but it's one of those tree trimming jobs that could be a nightmare so I could be wrong by saying my friend and I agreed on that price. From what a girl told me yesterday is that he is back on Heroine so go figure he needs money for drugs.

The last statement was that I was shown the letter printed from the lawyer from the ex customer and he has till the end of November to trim back the tree's sorry for not stating that before.

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 09-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you think having an addict "help" you is a wise BUSINESS decision?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So you think having an addict "help" you is a wise BUSINESS decision?
Posted via Mobile Device
He went to a rehab for 5-6 months and he did pretty good, he wouldn't even drink a beer at the bar since I offered him food and a pitcher. He also goes to these NA meetings a few nights a week and I thought he was doing good. Sorry that I have a big heart I wanted to help him out since he lost his landscaping business a year ago and he can't even afford his cell phone bill.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I help alot of my friends also, hope you can just move forward and cut your loss. Your friend more than likely will try this again, I've seen it before many times, but you will be the better man and move forward and leave them where they are.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is the first time something like this has happen but I have to realize there is a first for everything being a business owner. I surround myself with good people but some can turn on you like a pitbull. As I get older my skin gets thicker when it comes to dealing with customer's but this broke a layer of my skin. Take it as a learning experience. I really wanted to punch him in the face but I'm not a child like that.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And this is how he repays your kindness? I know it sounds abrasive, but you don't need friends that steal and customers that can't pay.
Posted via Mobile Device