Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any allison trnasmission experts here?

Hey guys. Im looking at buying a Kenworth T-300 single axle truck. 33,000gvw with a hook lift. Whatever truck I buy I would like an automatic. I found a 04' T300 with a 330hp cat engine. The truck has a Allison MD3060P auto trans. I know the newer 3000 series allison trans is really good I know technology has increased alot in the last few years with autotrans. It seems like there are alot more vocational trucks being sold with autos now then there was 10 years ago. How is the trans in this truck? How does it rate compared to the newer ones? How long will it last?

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much bullet proof trannys. Used quite a bit in medium vocational trucks and larger RV's. Being that they run on there own computer you can change quite a bit if you know what you are doing(or know a Allison mechanic). How long it will last will depend on how you drive and how the previous owner did, maintenance, etc

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TSS pretty well covered it.

Great tranny, even if it was somewhat abused, I wouldn't get too concerned.

I have one in a 750. The cab is shot and I'm still trying to decide what to do with the truck. Tranny and frame are the best parts, the 3126 is so, so.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 4 truck trucks with the Allison automatics in them I like them alot. I've been looking for a tri axle for some time now and won't go with anything but an Allison auto.. Talked to many big trucking companies and there all going with auto they love them
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use the 3000's in all our fire trucks. Great tranny's, solid. We've never had a problem with them.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice thing about the 3000 series is that the pto is live. in the 600 series trannys, you have to either be moving or transmission in neutral to have pto power. With the 3000 series you can be sitting in gear and have pto power. I have a '02 sterling with 60k miles and have had no problems. I know that isn't a lot of miles but running an oil spreader, I am constantly transitioning between forward and reverse and have not had any problems
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
nice thing about the 3000 series is that the pto is live. in the 600 series trannys, you have to either be moving or transmission in neutral to have pto power. With the 3000 series you can be sitting in gear and have pto power. I have a '02 sterling with 60k miles and have had no problems. I know that isn't a lot of miles but running an oil spreader, I am constantly transitioning between forward and reverse and have not had any problems
I hate that about my trucks i can only dump in neutral
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our Kodiak has the Ally 653(?) and has been great. It's kinda fun to drive but with lots of power that helps, when it locks up in high gear it scoots. We had a gas tandem with an Ally and that sucked, had to keep your foot in it big time.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the feed back guys.

The truck is a 2004 with 63,500 miles. Has hendrickson air suspension, polished aluminum wheels, heated mirrors, 20k capacity stellar hook lift, hot shift pto, pintle plate and hook.

Guy is asking 65k. If I go forward with this i would try to get them down to 60k. How do you guys feel about that price?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins343 View Post
We use the 3000's in all our fire trucks. Great tranny's, solid. We've never had a problem with them.
Are they 3000's or 4000's?

I think ours are 4000's.

I believe the 3's are MD (medium duty) and 4's are HD (Heavy Duty).