Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt drive owners

So as some might know, I posted a couple weeks ago about an issue with the way my belt drive mower was performing. Its a 36" Exmark Metro. Whenever I would go up an incline the mower would basically slow to a crawl and then just stop even though the belts were turning. I'd have to push with all my might and then BAM! it would start pulling again. Got to the point where the belt jusrt kept slipping to the inner side of the tire against the frame.

Ended up taking it to the dealer and they said one of the pulley's was out of alignment and that it works now. Well when I got it back it was like brand new. Very strong pull, went up the inclines good.

Well, it seems to have returned to hesitating......kind of. I was using my accelerator catcher on it at 2 properties yesterday. While going up some very minimal inclines it started to lag again like it didn't want to go.

Could this have been due to the extra weight of the grass in the catcher along with the turf being slightly damp? I guess what I'm asking is, is this normal for a belt drive and that's what hydro's have over them is they don't "slip" and hesitate?

Do any of you experience some hesitation while going up inclines with a catcher or hesitation going up hills without the catcher when it's wet or damp?

Im starting to get very annoyed at this but wanted to check and see what you guys have to say to make sure I'm not losing my cool over something that is normal with a belt drive.

Is it the pulley and belt not having the best of friction because it is damp? Is it because going up hill against gravity isn't best suited for a belt drive but more for a hydro? Is "some" hesitaion normal?

Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My 36 pulls hard up hills no matter what as long is I'm in 3rd gear and lower, but I also am using a sulky on it %100 of the time. It sounds like you have a problem. You try new belts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's a belt drive mower, what more could you ask for out of it? If you don't like the common problematic issues with a belt drive, find a good hydro mower to replace it. Other then that, you're right there in the thick of things as far as common problems with belt drive mowers. Some people like belt drive mowers. I'm not one of them. Switching gears to back up got old fast and the CC/Lesco 36 I bought went right back to the dealer.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
My 36 pulls hard up hills no matter what as long is I'm in 3rd gear and lower, but I also am using a sulky on it %100 of the time. It sounds like you have a problem. You try new belts?
Posted via Mobile Device
So you say it's not normal and orangemower says its is normal.

No, haven't gotten new belts. Maybe that's it? I don't know? Thinking back to when I first got it, I really don't remember having any problems like this unless I just forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
It's a belt drive mower, what more could you ask for out of it? If you don't like the common problematic issues with a belt drive, find a good hydro mower to replace it. Other then that, you're right there in the thick of things as far as common problems with belt drive mowers. Some people like belt drive mowers. I'm not one of them. Switching gears to back up got old fast and the CC/Lesco 36 I bought went right back to the dealer.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm 250 lbs and have been pulled up many hills wet with a gear drive and sulky. The tranny belt may be slipping as so with the wheel belts. I replace all the belts yearly. I am one who personally likes belt over hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawns Etc View Post
I'm 250 lbs and have been pulled up many hills wet with a gear drive and sulky. The tranny belt may be slipping as so with the wheel belts. I replace all the belts yearly. I am one who personally likes belt over hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device
No kidding? Then I must have a problem. Just irritates me taking into the dealer who has certified Exmark mechanics and they can seem to duplicate the problem because all they have around is flat ground.

This things runs awesome on flat ground, no problems at all, none. Get a slight incline or hill and then it starts hesitating.

I have taken it in 3 times. Only charged once because the other 2 times they made the adjustments in the parking lot.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It ain't supposed to slip, period! Anybody who says its "normal" don't know chit from Shinola. Could be a worn crank drive pulley letting the belt bottom out on the pulley. Or not enough tension on the drive belt, but all the tension in the world won't overcome a worn pulley. So the dealer is pretty much doin the ol'
" if ya cant convince em...confuse em " routine.

......AMF!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read this: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=388812
Reply #8 & 9 bring up good points!

......AMF!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish;4545009[B
It ain't supposed to slip[/B], period! Anybody who says its "normal" don't know chit from Shinola. Could be a worn crank drive pulley letting the belt bottom out on the pulley. Or not enough tension on the drive belt, but all the tension in the world won't overcome a worn pulley. So the dealer is pretty much doin the ol'
He's right. but they all do. Just do what I do, when you slow down, walk\run behind until you can ride again.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
It ain't supposed to slip, period! Anybody who says its "normal" don't know chit from Shinola. Could be a worn crank drive pulley letting the belt bottom out on the pulley. Or not enough tension on the drive belt, but all the tension in the world won't overcome a worn pulley. So the dealer is pretty much doin the ol'
So in that case, would it drive fine on flat ground and just not climb hills good? Or, if it's a pulley, it would drive like crap regardless of the slope?