Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

No Respect for the profession

I run my part-time lawn and landscape business in a very professional manner.
Fully insured, licensed for pest app on turf and ornamental, nutrient management certified for fert app. US DOT certified for the truck and trailer.

Truck has company logo and all license numbers.

I conduct myself in a professional manner in both verbal and written communication.

I keep my customers long term.

I feel I represent the industry very well. We should all try to be the best we can be.

Please don't think I'm trying to make myself out to be better than someone else as a person. I'm very humble and I thank the Lord for all he has done for me. Couldn't have done it without him.

As I said I'm part-time. In my full time job I work for the State Dept. of Agriculture as Soil Conservation Planner. We help farmers protect soil and water resources on their farmland which in turn helps the Chesapeake Bay, the largest estuary in the US.

I don't tell my customers that I'm part-time, I don't think it matters either way but I still don't.
When they do find out what my full time job is its like I've been elevated to a higher level which makes me believe the business itself doesn't get much respect.

It happened this year with a second year client. She practically bowed down to me.

Had another client who just found out and said I feel better with you taking care of my lawn because you know what you are doing. I've had him for about six years and I never heard that before. Same work same results.

I've always kept a high standard I set for myself and my work but now I'm better at what I do?

And even a new client I just picked up a few weeks ago who has seen me in the area for years asked me point blank what my full time job is. I felt like he was saying you couldn't possibly be doing just this for a living.

I'm not complaining, I'm fine with it. My situation sounds like it will have a positive outcome.

It just seems to me the lawn/landscape business doesn't get the respect it deserves.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Because any idiot with a mower that is thrown in the back of a car can call themselves a ground maintenance person.

Been in this trade for a very long time. The good professional people are the ones that last in this trade and make a comfortable living.

But until local municipalities hold the person who hires the fly by nighters responsible(notice I didn't say the worker) this trade will always have low ballers and idiots who make a bad name for the pro's in this business.

Then their's the boy next door image that will never go away. Part of Americana.
John
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a true statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
Because any idiot with a mower that is thrown in the back of a car can call themselves a ground maintenance person.

Been in this trade for a very long time. The good professional people are the ones that last in this trade and make a comfortable living.

But until local municipalities hold the person who hires the fly by nighters responsible(notice I didn't say the worker) this trade will always have low ballers and idiots who make a bad name for the pro's in this business.

Then their's the boy next door image that will never go away. Part of Americana.
John
Municipalities go with the lowest bid, period, end of statement. Oh they'll say they want quality, but trust me on this one...they really don't care. They want to save money for their city, their state. Been this way for decades now in the bidding business. The Walmart approach to hiring lawn care pros has now permeated society where anyone with a craigslist ad can lowball anyone else out there...and the customers know this. They, themselves care less about quality as a general rule than those of the 1970's/80's era. Lived it, seen it up close and personal. The era of the lowballer is in full swing.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't worry about what people think, I live in an affluent neighborhood, homes are a 1/2 million on up. Most of my clients are my neighbors so they know me pretty well, as for the others, well I just laugh all the way to the bank. Most people have no clue as to what this industry has to offer, but best of all, "I work for myself and not the man." That says a lot right there.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uncortunately, i agree with you on this point. In my opinion we are viewed as a step below other occupations.
Good luck to all finishing up the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get this from everyone. I went to a funeral of a distant relative, and my mother wanted me to lie about what i did for a living because one side of the family would not be impressed. Ofcourse i didn't lie, and it pissed my mom off. O well. I get smirks at stores and everywhere. My ex neighbor asked (in a confused high pitched voice) "what do you do for winter?" In the middle of telling him, he was shaking his head like i was lying to him. When i found my first house, he asked "how in the world can you afford a house? Did you get some sort of settlement?" I told him it was 3.5% down and i qualified for it. A looong time ago, my roommate who was in the business saved up cash for a new truck. He knew what he wanted, and went to the lot. He was in work clothes., and had the cash rolled up in a rubber band. They totally ignored him, which is weird for these particular salesman. Anyway, out of disgust, he went up to them and flashed the cash, and they went berserk. They were after him like puppies. My roommate ended up going to another lot.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I get this from everyone. I went to a funeral of a distant relative, and my mother wanted me to lie about what i did for a living because one side of the family would not be impressed. Ofcourse i didn't lie, and it pissed my mom off. O well. I get smirks at stores and everywhere. My ex neighbor asked (in a confused high pitched voice) "what do you do for winter?" In the middle of telling him, he was shaking his head like i was lying to him. When i found my first house, he asked "how in the world can you afford a house? Did you get some sort of settlement?" I told him it was 3.5% down and i qualified for it. A looong time ago, my roommate who was in the business saved up cash for a new truck. He knew what he wanted, and went to the lot. He was in work clothes., and had the cash rolled up in a rubber band. They totally ignored him, which is weird for these particular salesman. Anyway, out of disgust, he went up to them and flashed the cash, and they went berserk. They were after him like puppies. My roommate ended up going to another lot.
I had the same thing happen to me last year. I went to trade my canyon in for a fullsize. The canyon was only four years old but I needed something bigger. Well, I went to the same dealer figuring it was a good place to start. I walked around the lot for a good 45 minutes and finally found a auto tech and asked if he could find someone to help me. Granted I was twenty years old with a babyface, but I had about ten grand to put down, and made more than enough to pay off the rest. They sent out some kid that knew less about the trucks, since I had done all my research on towing and axle ratios and whatnot. I left and bought a 30,000 truck about two hours later. the next day a senior sales person from the first dealer called and tried selling me a truck. I told him I already bought one and paid 21,000 for a 30,000 truck. I literally laughed when I heard his voice say wow.
Stihl FX100RX
Stihl Br600 Magnum
Stihl Bg55
Echo Pb251
Echo hedge trimmer
2011 Chevy Silverado ext cab 4.3

6x10 trailer
5x8 trailer
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think its because the Hack vs. Professional ratio is about 75/25%....... Did I just include the word professional with cutting grass
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in the startup phase of my lawn care business. My full time job is a firefighter/emt at Crossett Fire Dept. I started by buying brand new echo equipment and a very nice enclosed trailer that I'm getting logo wrapped this week. I was fortunate to already own a commercial mower. I have been in the process of getting all necessary permits and insurance.

In saying all this, my friends, co-workers, and people around town tell me that I am crazy for putting out that kind of money for all these things. They say just get what you can to get by and just do it for cash. To me it gives me a sense of pride to have nice equipment. If I were hiring a lawn service, I would want a profesional company rather than a wore out truck and trailer and wore out equipment sitting in front of my house. I'm glad others take pride in their business.
Echo trimmer, edger, and backpack blower
MTD yard man push mower
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, i may have an unpopular opinion about appearances. I don't care about it. I've been rear ended 3 times, and my truck doesn't look great, but it's functional. I have an exmark that looks like it should be in a junk pile. My long time customers have told me that they wouldn't know what to do if i didn't tend to their yard, and i get good referrals. I don't need shiny equipment, just equipment that gets the job done. BUT, i respect your view of being professional.