Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

oregon speed feed 450

so, somehow I ended up with a speed feed 450 as an attempt for blount to get me a working trimmer head, so I figured I would share my experience, the good, the bad, and the fugly.

so, as a plus, unlike the 2 other heads they sent me that were supposed to fit my trimmer, this one actually fit the shaft. unlike what I had heard of and saw of people struggling with the echo heads, this one seemed to come apart and go back together rather easily. the spool seems like it will hold much more than the ~10 feet listed on the package, I see more like 18-20 feet. it seems well built, but it is quite heavy, more on that in the "bad/fugly" sections. loading it is indeed quick.

changing the bushing was uneventful, but the cap/turn knob got in the way a bit of screwing it onto the trimmer. thus started the problems.

the bad: my first problem was it kept flying off when I tried to start the trimmer (I've had 2 other heads on this trimmer, installed equally tight on this trimmer with no problem).

the fugly: it fell off several more times, even after using it (which usually tightens it more), and it never seemed to tighten as stiffly as the other heads, even when I stuck a pin in the "head hold" hole. then I noticed when I shut off the trimmer, it actually wound the string back in (one time all the way back into the head). now, I must say, my trimmer has no clutch, but blount should have thought of this, IMO. I blame the sheer mass of the head combined with lack of clutch for both issues, along with it somehow not wanting to tighten down (for it not staying on). it frustrated me to the point where I gave up trimming for the day with that head, after less than a full property. did I mention it was heavy? so much so it made my trimmer bog down a bit.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of trimmer are you using the speed-feed on?
Is the threads on the output right hand or left?

It sounds like you have a right hand thread with the trimmer wanting to turn the head off when running. I may be all wrong here but I think most units are left handed threads and the machine turns in the direction that would make it imposable to run off. If anything it should get tighter as it runs.
Sounds to me you need the smaller 294 (3 3/4) size. Most of there are fleft hand thread.

Just my opinion and experience.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
so, somehow I ended up with a speed feed 450 as an attempt for blount to get me a working trimmer head, so I figured I would share my experience, the good, the bad, and the fugly.

so, as a plus, unlike the 2 other heads they sent me that were supposed to fit my trimmer, this one actually fit the shaft. unlike what I had heard of and saw of people struggling with the echo heads, this one seemed to come apart and go back together rather easily. the spool seems like it will hold much more than the ~10 feet listed on the package, I see more like 18-20 feet. it seems well built, but it is quite heavy, more on that in the "bad/fugly" sections. loading it is indeed quick.

changing the bushing was uneventful, but the cap/turn knob got in the way a bit of screwing it onto the trimmer. thus started the problems.

the bad: my first problem was it kept flying off when I tried to start the trimmer (I've had 2 other heads on this trimmer, installed equally tight on this trimmer with no problem).

the fugly: it fell off several more times, even after using it (which usually tightens it more), and it never seemed to tighten as stiffly as the other heads, even when I stuck a pin in the "head hold" hole. then I noticed when I shut off the trimmer, it actually wound the string back in (one time all the way back into the head). now, I must say, my trimmer has no clutch, but blount should have thought of this, IMO. I blame the sheer mass of the head combined with lack of clutch for both issues, along with it somehow not wanting to tighten down (for it not staying on). it frustrated me to the point where I gave up trimming for the day with that head, after less than a full property. did I mention it was heavy? so much so it made my trimmer bog down a bit.
Is this the same as the Shindaiwa speed-feed? I love my Shindaiwa speed feed. never had a problem with it.(even doing brushcutting)

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I believe it is the same head. I think Oregon bought out the Speed-feed Co that makes the unit for Shindaiwa. Same units just a slightly different model #s and different packaging. Just like Oregon bought up Gator Co. in the past.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Yes I believe it is the same head. I think Oregon bought out the Speed-feed Co that makes the unit for Shindaiwa. Same units just a slightly different model #s and different packaging. Just like Oregon bought up Gator Co. in the past.
It is the same head but we did not purchase the company.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Using a sarlo/weedboss ss18/bc18 (only difference is the handle) with a .75hp 4 stroke engine, so it's a very torquey engine, more so than the hp rating suggests. The shaft is an 8mm x 1.25 left hand thread, of this I am sure, as this is where the headache started for me trying to find a good aftermarket head for this trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

They sent me the 405 because of the line capacity matching the head I bought. I refuse to use a head that only holds 10 feet of line. I also don't like how the wind knob is a separate piece unlike the lightning load/speed load head (oregon's take on the u turn head) I originally ordered. I think that 2 piece design is highly flawed, especially since it's so easy to turn, and the head is so heavy, any jolting motion (like a trimmer with no clutch stopping rotation) makes it rotate and wind. The lightning load head is lighter, and requires the two pieces (two pieces, but assembled as one unit) to jump a bigger ramp to wind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked some with my brother that had his own way of using a string timer. And I don't mean to be rude when I say this. It all come down to how he was using the trimmer. It is about the only way one could turn off the cuter head if it is installed properly.

What my brother did he always (that drove me nuts) was to put the head in deep grass or on the ground then pull back the trigger and give it power after it was in the load. He had poor cutting and took him for ever to make time. He also would do maybe what your doing once he was done cutting and the head was finally spinning at a high RPM he would stick the head in the ground or grass to slow it down. This in essence was giving a revers tork to the head, this would be possible to unscrew the head. The high compression of a new 4 cycle without a clutch when you slow it down with the ground as to stop the spinning your going to unscrew the head.

This is meant to ad not criticize, my brother took little advice from me so I just help him put it back on a few time and excepted it. You think about how and what your doing and if this is close to what I have tried to explain. I hope you have gained some insight and don't have this problem any more.

Good luck..
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for response. I would never grind the head into the ground. I'm using my trimmer's "head hold" pin hole, which holds the shaft still so you can turn the head tight or loose without putting torque on the engine.

I talked with dennis today from blount, and we determined it's not tightening down because like stihls, my trimmer needs the spacer. It's winding because of the design of the head combined with no clutch. On to trying to find the right bushing for the lightning load head.
Posted via Mobile Device