Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lowballing vs Cost Efficiency

There is always a lot animosity toward the upstart LCOs that are lowballing their services in order to get their foot in the door of the industry...

But,,, what if there was a way to do an overseeding job this time of year that was done quickly and didn't cost us(the providers) much money to do it???

Exa.:
A widow, needed her lawn redone after heavy construction work and a load of topsoil brought in... all that is needed is preparation and seed... it was a small lawn and she recieved an outrageous estimate, that even I though was 'over the top'... I heard later that the guy was a moron and was planning on bringing in a skidster or something like it to level and seed...
"The soil was already compacted enough, thank you, by the people that delivered the dirt!!!"
2 people, 1 tiller,, a couple of rakes and a bag of seed plus 4 hours... perfect lawn...
AND
Less than a quater(1/4) of what Mr. Bigshot was going to charge for a lawn that would have been garbage because he would have planted on compacted soil...

So,,, does that make me a "Lowballer"???
Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not at all. I guess this relates to whose stuff hangs lower, rather than who knows what he is doing. Heavy machinery on top of dirt? If this was a little yard, a tiller and rake would be more than enough.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738