Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Roto tilling

just picked up a small roto tiller, was wondering if there is any work out there for it? i search almost all of my local landscaping companies and none seem to offer this service. if i was to offer what would be the going rate/ by job, hour, sqft?
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer

"a drunken mans words, are a sober mans thoughts.."

"Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

how small of a tiller you talking about
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

if i had to guess, maybe 22-24" craftsman got it for free. i currently till my own two gardens both 10x10. just didnt know if it was worth putting the service out there, also have no idea how to charge..
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer

"Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonLandscaping View Post
if i had to guess, maybe 22-24" craftsman got it for free. i currently till my own two gardens both 10x10. just didnt know if it was worth putting the service out there, also have no idea how to charge..
doing gardens no with a 22''-24'' tiller I have a 6ft rear tiller for a tractor now tilling gardens are worth it I have 23 jobs range is 45 to 130 size gardens are 2k to 15k Im only around my town offer this service use to have around 100 at one time but money has got tight or they bought a cheap tiller and doing it there self
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
doing gardens no with a 22''-24'' tiller I have a 6ft rear tiller for a tractor now tilling gardens are worth it I have 23 jobs range is 45 to 130 size gardens are 2k to 15k Im only around my town offer this service use to have around 100 at one time but money has got tight or they bought a cheap tiller and doing it there self
Congrats on the 6ft tiller, must come in handy. But where I service, one being east boston, 4 minutes from my house, you'd be lucky to fit a trash barrel between the houses. So I think mine would work fine just didn't know how to price. Another big thing that becoming popular are roof top gardens. I don't currently service any, and I don't think I would want to either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonLandscaping View Post
Congrats on the 6ft tiller, must come in handy. But where I service, one being east boston, 4 minutes from my house, you'd be lucky to fit a trash barrel between the houses. So I think mine would work fine just didn't know how to price. Another big thing that becoming popular are roof top gardens. I don't currently service any, and I don't think I would want to either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Best thing I can tell you Live and Learn Price one if you make good time and make ur hour rate and extra then you have price it right If you price to cheap and takes to long you know next time to chargee more
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I offered tilling when I first started out and didn't think it was worth it. Most of the people who garden are old timers who want to pay $50.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

so in other words work demand is low, not worth the time, which explains why no one is advertising for the service. if someone had called how would i price?
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer

Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends how much you want to make, lol. The thing is that you really need to make a sales call and look at the job...there goes 1/2 hour. Then you need to load up, drive there, unload, fire it up...there goes another half hour. The average small garden is only going to take an hour or so to double till. What's a couple hours of your time worth?

Oh yeah...then there's the people who put all their fall leaves in the garden...ever try to till a foot of wet leaves into a garden? lol Another problem is trying to work within a fence, as most have their gardens fenced. The handles of the tiller will hit the fence on corners, so you have to cut the corner and leave it untilled and either use a mini tiller or hand dig it. Then there's the tree roots that wrap up in your tines...gotta cut them out after each job and sometimes during them. Tree roots from large trees can be really long and end up in places you might not expect.

I don't mean to discourage you but after a few jobs I stopped offering it... and if it's a front tine tiller it's pretty rough on the body. The rear tine ones are nice but kind of long, and make sure whatever you do that you don't lean on the handles of a rear tine machine...they will get up and take off like a bat out of hell!!!!!! I had a front tine Toro but have used the rear tine ones as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

lol i know what your saying darryl, ive worked both front and rear tine before. i like the rear tines better. im gonna advertise it in the spring see how it goes, if i get no calls for it, then i still have it for mine.
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer