Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM
TK LC&L TK LC&L is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 51
Pricing and Rates

I am just curious to see what people are getting these days in this economy. I was told that in mowing, if a yard takes an hour then charged $30. And for mulching, $100/yard which includes mulch, delivery, edging, spreading, and any minor weeding. Also for employees, $10/hour for a person with little to no experience and about $15/hour for someone experienced in the field. Any thoughts or opinions? I am in Pennsylvania by the way, I know that different areas get different rates.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
I think your really going to have a tough time with this one.
You will be better off changing your post to targeting people in your area.
We are in the northeast and have very different rates to what you posted.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
exmark user exmark user is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: erwin tn
Posts: 462
Pricing and Rates

A $30.00 yard here should take no longer than 25 minutes . We try to get a dollar a minute on mowing as for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,734
Based on this, you would potentially pay an employee $15/hour to do a $30/hour mowing?

You really need to understand all of the costs involved, both direct operating costs, and those imposed by your state and federal government, and you'll quickly see why that is in no way viable, regardless of where you operate.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
As far as mowing prices go, a better way to compare those prices would be based on square footage rather than a duration of time. The whole bit of "company A charges X per hour while company B charges Y per hour" doesn't work since not everyone is going to be able to service the same size property in the same amount of time. Then there's the (previously mentioned) factor of operating costs that will vary across the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Based on this, you would potentially pay an employee $15/hour to do a $30/hour mowing?

You really need to understand all of the costs involved, both direct operating costs, and those imposed by your state and federal government, and you'll quickly see why that is in no way viable, regardless of where you operate.

Who told you $30 hour? As tonygreek said if $15 labor is more because their is Workman's comp and unemployment insurance that you have to pay the gov on top of that $15 to employee. That $15 hr man is now a $20 man. Then gas, vehicle insurance, business liability ins, bus license, maintenance and repairs of equipment, advertising, set aside money to expand/buy new equipment. Can cost more then the $10 that was left over after paying your employee.

Soon as you mowed your first lawn your business has just lost money. The best part is you have not even paid yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
As far as mowing prices go, a better way to compare those prices would be based on square footage rather than a duration of time. The whole bit of "company A charges X per hour while company B charges Y per hour" doesn't work since not everyone is going to be able to service the same size property in the same amount of time. Then there's the (previously mentioned) factor of operating costs that will vary across the board.
Posted via Mobile Device

I price out my properties by the SF so I know that I'm more consistent in my pricing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
TK LC&L TK LC&L is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 51
Ok I guess I should have stated that a little better. It is per man hour. So if a yard takes one hour to mow with me and another employee that would be $60. And the employee that I have with me when I mow is just a young unexperienced guy that I give $10/hour. So what I am saying is that I make $20 off of him. And I understand what the overhead is. Also I am a smaller company and am looking to grow the number of accounts I have so I am trying to be on the lower side to beat competition until I have the amount I need. Thank you to everyone who has contributed their thoughts to the thread so far.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
fastlane fastlane is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east PA.
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LC&L View Post
Ok I guess I should have stated that a little better. It is per man hour. So if a yard takes one hour to mow with me and another employee that would be $60. And the employee that I have with me when I mow is just a young unexperienced guy that I give $10/hour. So what I am saying is that I make $20 off of him. And I understand what the overhead is. Also I am a smaller company and am looking to grow the number of accounts I have so I am trying to be on the lower side to beat competition until I have the amount I need. Thank you to everyone who has contributed their thoughts to the thread so far.
$30 per man hour. A WB or ZT could cost $7-$11 an hr. Labor $13 an hr. Truck, insurance,overhead, IMO you lost money.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,392
Could you guys ship some of that $10 per hour help up here. Whether they have experience or not they all want 12 or more per hour. One guy we interviewed wanted $20 and the only experience he had was weeding gardens at a resort!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
TK LC&L TK LC&L is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 51
I like the square foot idea of pricing, but what do you do if it is hilly compared to flat or if there are a million obstacles compared to an open yard?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.09857 seconds with 7 queries