Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hose ballet

Is your best lawn sprayer really good with a hose? Are you? Smooth as silk...graceful as can be. Never get it tangled. Never kink? Never twisted? Never caught on bird baths or rose bushes? Always on the reel smooth and even? Never trip on hose? Pull out 300 feet uphill, and around a corner without breathing hard?

Got video?

Even better, can you throw a coil of hose and jump a birdbath from 50 feet away? (Can you do it left handed, while still spraying with your right?)
Got video to prove it?
Set up a spreader in your parking lot--see which of your guys can jump it with the hose.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can jump a Raised Sprinkler head or landscape light. But no way can I get a 3 ft high Bird Bath at 50 Ft. I have a too many senior movements and sometime try and rewind hose wrapped around a tree.

But I do something not many people do. I spray with a 42 Inch long wand and 2 GPM flat fan tip. When I come to a cement driveway etc I pinch my hose with my left hand to reduce pressure and volume while spraying with my right hand. That way I get no over spray. BTW My tank mix for turf is rather staining because of Minor elements.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I have a too many senior movements and sometime try and rewind hose wrapped around a tree.
Don't worry I'm 22 and do that every once in a while!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Is your best lawn sprayer really good with a hose? Are you? Smooth as silk...graceful as can be. Never get it tangled. Never kink? Never twisted? Never caught on bird baths or rose bushes? Always on the reel smooth and even? Never trip on hose? Pull out 300 feet uphill, and around a corner without breathing hard?

Got video?

Even better, can you throw a coil of hose and jump a birdbath from 50 feet away? (Can you do it left handed, while still spraying with your right?)
Got video to prove it?
Set up a spreader in your parking lot--see which of your guys can jump it with the hose.

I can rip a downspout off the corner of a house in one yank with my hose from 100 ft away without even looking. I'll have to make a video some day to prove it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I can rip a downspout off the corner of a house in one yank with my hose from 100 ft away without even looking. I'll have to make a video some day to prove it.
I've got you beat, I can rip out 50 solar powered stick in lights in one pull..without looking.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And there was the time I got my hose all twisted and tangled up in a dog chain. Those glass mirrored gazing balls really DID make me nervous.

And I cannot forget the time somebody honked at me repeatedly and shouted some profanity at me. Turned out I was dragging 100 feet of hose down the highway.

Around a tree--been there--done that.

Have you ever tried to use a small tree as a pulley to go around a corner--and find out the tree wasn't strong enough?

Ever pulled the hose out by the gun...and...have the gun pop off the hose? That was exciting. Always tighten the clamp.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a good one for you. Let's say you've been training a guy for about a week. You are using a quality sprayer that has jet and mechanical agitation. You pull up at your first stop of that day and tell the guy to recirculate the hose line. He's observed you doing it the last couple of days so he's familiar with the routine. He locks the trigger on the gun spraying into the tank and jumps back in the cab just like you've done the last couple of days. The only difference is he puts the gun further into the tank than you did. It gets caught in the paddles of the mechanical agitator and unwinds 400 ft of hose off the reel in less than 5 minutes while you enjoy another sip of coffee. You realize this when the tank makes a terrible noise but by that time its too late. It's great fun cutting a "rats nest" of hose from a mechanical agitation system inside the tank.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Ever pulled the hose out by the gun...and...have the gun pop off the hose?
Only when someone is watching

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNC View Post
I've got you beat, I can rip out 50 solar powered stick in lights in one pull..without looking.
I can't get anywhere close to 50 and I haven't been able to get mine to "rip out", it's more like "snap off". I need to get more practice in I suppose...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Got video?

Got video to prove it?

double post...slow server