Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Would this trailer work for me?

I have a small lawn mowing business going. I'm 21 and in my last year of college. I use a Toro push mower right now, sears edger, stihl fs90r weed eater and stihl br600 backpack blower. I picked up a 36 inch encore walk behind and am about to go get a scag tiger cat 52'' this week. Business has really taken off and I now need a trailer. I already purchased my trimmer rack and blower rack for the trailer. I was thinking about this 6.4 c 14 foot trailer single axle. Would that be good to put an 1,100 pound ztr and a 36 inch walk behind on? Thanks!
Scag Tiger Cat 52'' w/ Bagger
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I meant 6.4 x 14
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Hope so I use a 6 x 12 for a 48 inch ztr and walker mower. Selling walker and getting a 36 inch walkbehind
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Sponsor

What would you be pulling this trailer with?. I suspect that at 21 you will next season quickly over load this trailer with new equipment, over and above what you mentioned.
Depending on what your pulling your new trailer with, I would make sure you have electric breaks to better protect your self and others.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can afford it i would probably go with a duel axle. Maybe something with brakes as well.the fourteen ft. Sounds like a good length.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I really couldn't afford the dual axle tho. I don't plan on getting too big right now as I have a job working at a small amusement park taking care of the grounds. I get paid decently there and go out and mow after work one day and on my day off on Thursday. I went and got the 6.5 x 14 foot trailer today. This weekend I'm going to get my racks on and pick up the scag Monday or Tuesday hopefully. I will post a pic in a minute. It's a big step up for me cause I have been working out of the back of a cargo van for years
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I am pulling it with a 2011 chevy avalanche
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Three more items. The trailer probably will come with junky tires. You really need E rated 80 psi tires so the trailer doesn't bounce around and blow out a tire if you hit a decent bump with a bunch of mowers in it. Your going to need a spare tire as well. No spare is really a big problem because it you have to leave your trailer on the side of a road to go get a tire fixed your equipment may be long gone before you get back. For a wheel and three decent Carlisle tires you looking at around $400.

Look up under the front of the trailer and see if the tongue stops under the front of the trailer or if the steel runs the whole length of the trailer like it should. The inferior companies that do not have the tools to bend steel simply weld the tongue to the front of the trailer. Welded tongues are prone to failing if you overload the trailer or get in even a mild accident. I've seen trailers fold in half before because the tongue failed. It's a pretty funny sight to see a trailer twisted up like a pretzel.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Three more items. The trailer probably will come with junky tires. You really need E rated 80 psi tires so the trailer doesn't bounce around and blow out a tire if you hit a decent bump with a bunch of mowers in it. Your going to need a spare tire as well. No spare is really a big problem because it you have to leave your trailer on the side of a road to go get a tire fixed your equipment may be long gone before you get back. For a wheel and three decent Carlisle tires you looking at around $400.

Look up under the front of the trailer and see if the tongue stops under the front of the trailer or if the steel runs the whole length of the trailer like it should. The inferior companies that do not have the tools to bend steel simply weld the tongue to the front of the trailer. Welded tongues are prone to failing if you overload the trailer or get in even a mild accident. I've seen trailers fold in half before because the tongue failed. It's a pretty funny sight to see a trailer twisted up like a pretzel.
along with better tires make sure you have a decent floor jack to lift your trailer for the future flat tires, 2.5 Ton should work fine. Lowes also makes a great batt opperated impack drill for removing lug nuts for my truck and trailer, makes a great Christmas gift idea as well!.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
along with better tires make sure you have a decent floor jack to lift your trailer for the future flat tires, 2.5 Ton should work fine. Lowes also makes a great batt opperated impack drill for removing lug nuts for my truck and trailer, makes a great Christmas gift idea as well!.
easy-lift guy
I keep a 18" breaker bar in my truck with sockets for my truck and trailer. For your tiny trailer your scissor jack will probably work fine. I keep a 20 ton bottle jack in my toolbox but my trailer can weight 28,000 lbs. I had a 15 ton but it wouldn't lift even one side of the trailer. Thanks for nothing Craftsman. Always buy a jack rated to lift way more then your trailer will ever weight.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/