Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Need help on the Kombi System

I am going to the Stihl Dealer tomorrow to pick out a new Kombi powerhead a trimmer, and an edger attachment. I am in the Property Preservation business and I am going to be getting some lawns where I will need a brushcutter and a powerhead capable to power it. Now I have 500 even to work with. I am trying to decide between the KM 100 or the KM 130. I don't really know the prices on them. I know I can sub a ryobi attachment if need be to scrape by if I dont have enough. I need some input here guys. Thank you.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Sport with a throttle body mod, strobes, and bumper mounted work lights
16 foot tandem axle landscaping trailer.
Troy Bilt Mustang XP 50 inch (Beast)
KM 130 trimmer, edger, blower (LOVE IT!)
Hl 100K Hedge Clipper (It's alright I guess...)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kombi? Which one?

Go with the 130 if you think you are going to be working some heavy brush. I have the 110 and it's good, but kinda wish I had gone with the 130.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to be cutting brush you really need to have a bike handlebar unit with harness. Running a brush blade on a loop handled trimmer it downright dangerous!

I bought the 110 for my heavy trimming and brush work and wish I'd gone with the 130, which was what my dealer recommened...I should have listened.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a 130 with a trimmer head and curved edger goes for 570 around me i got a 130 with a straight edger and a couple other attachments the 130 wont let you down
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't emphasize enough that you need a bike handlebar setup for use as a brush cutter. Just two days ago I had just pulled to the curb for one of my accounts. A friend of mine's employee was cutting brush along the side of the road with a Shindaiwa loop-handled trimmer with a saw blade on it. He slipped on the slope and fell down, with the still spinning blade landing just inches from his leg. There is also the possiblity of kick-back when cutting brush. With a handlebar unit and harness there is no way the blade can contact you.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay I jut bought the KM 130 R with a straight shaft attachment for $464. I am going to pick up a edger attachment after lunch. As for the brush cutting is there a kit I can buy to convert to bike bars when I need to cut brush? I went to my main dealer and they only had the KM 55 and the KM 90. So I went up the road 7 miles to the next dealer and got the one that had just arrived the day before. I think I will be very happy with this system. Also do the ryobi attachments work on these if you're in a bind? How is their edger attachment? Thanks guys.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Sport with a throttle body mod, strobes, and bumper mounted work lights
16 foot tandem axle landscaping trailer.
Troy Bilt Mustang XP 50 inch (Beast)
KM 130 trimmer, edger, blower (LOVE IT!)
Hl 100K Hedge Clipper (It's alright I guess...)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know there is a kit to convert from bike handlebar to loop, not sure if they have one to go the other direction.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I know there is a kit to convert from bike handlebar to loop, not sure if they have one to go the other direction.
Really? I don't see how you could go either way without changing out the control handle. The bicycle one doesn't have a hole going through it, and the control cable is way longer.

The bicycle handle will be awful with the edger too. You need the loop handle to be able to keep the blade in the cut.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
darryl, there is already a barrier bar installed on the Stihl Kombi units. They are designed to be used as a brush cutter without needing the full blown bike handle kit, aside from that how would you switch between a loop handle and the bike handle?

To the OP, I wouldn't use any other attachments aside from what Stihl makes for the Kombi units. You run the risk of damaging your machine, whatever you can't afford right now just save for.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My understanding was that you could use a weed knife but not a full circular blade with them, just the 4 sided grass/weed knife that would work for very light brush too I'm sure. I do not know of any manufacturer that recommends using a circular saw-type blade with a loop handled trimmer. That's what I think of when I think of a brush cutter.

They do make a kit for going from handlebar unit to loop handle and it does come with a control handle. It's not a quick switch sort of thing. I'm sure you could buy the parts to go the other direction too, but it would probably be costly.