Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bid and Destroy

Oh no. Just what we need. National television depicting customers NEGOTIATING with contractors lol. Other than that it was good
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We recently passed on a 50k job because they "knew a guy that could do it for less." To that my Dad said, "Well then you should definitely have him do it." With a smile no less and we left. This was 2 months ago, the guy still isn't done and it looks like crap, is severely under-equipped to do it. We figured 2 weeks to do the entire project had we done it.

Thanks but no thanks on bartering, this isn't a pawn shop.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I don't deal with homeowners. Strictly reputable engineers and general contractors or government agencies. Gc we work for hired a new estimator , he decided he would choose a landscaper who thought he could do the jobs we do . 40k less then us on a 75k job , 6 weeks later landscaper was still working , gc called us in to do the other larger phase. 6 days including equipment moves we were done. If someone or something is really cheap there usually is a reason why. Learned that one the hard way!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a nice luxury to have. I would say that it woud be near imposible to do outside of a 2nd or 3rd generation business though.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not impossible at all. All it takes is being proffesional, knowledgeable in your area of work , and making your business marketable. I am only 25 and I have done it . Perfect example is Andrew(Arp) started from scratch and has become a very successfull business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Not impossible at all. All it takes is being proffesional, knowledgeable in your area of work , and making your business marketable. I am only 25 and I have done it . Perfect example is Andrew(Arp) started from scratch and has become a very successfull business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bingo. Sean, you and Andrew are an inspiration to me. Ill catch up to yall one day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well if youve been in business, Im guessing, just several years and based off of your picture thread then you must have a hell of a marketing strategy. Did you buy out a large company or sell your soul or what?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Sean, I have a couple thoughts on this thread as there are many 'topics' here. I mean this as respectful as possible but Andrew and You are the exception, I bet many of the rest of us are not 'successful' in the conventional sense and there are many reasons why. If all it took was hard work I think there would be many more that are 'successful'. I hate to say it but there is a lot of 'luck' and 'connections' that are very important.

Another point is the commercial vs residential market. An excavator last year kind of told me I was wasting my time doing residential work and should go after more 'big' work. The problem with that is I can't afford to wait to be paid, absolutely hate dealing with the regulations that come with commercial work and it is very dog-eat-dog. Yes some home owners are a pain but some are awesome to deal with and I've found there is much better margins with it and leave with a check.

My last thing is connections make or break you, that is the most important thing. I am not a pushy or very out spoken so I find the 'selling/schmoozing' part very tough, the work is the easy part...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Sean, I have a couple thoughts on this thread as there are many 'topics' here. I mean this as respectful as possible but Andrew and You are the exception, I bet many of the rest of us are not 'successful' in the conventional sense and there are many reasons why. If all it took was hard work I think there would be many more that are 'successful'. I hate to say it but there is a lot of 'luck' and 'connections' that are very important.

Another point is the commercial vs residential market. An excavator last year kind of told me I was wasting my time doing residential work and should go after more 'big' work. The problem with that is I can't afford to wait to be paid, absolutely hate dealing with the regulations that come with commercial work and it is very dog-eat-dog. Yes some home owners are a pain but some are awesome to deal with and I've found there is much better margins with it and leave with a check.

My last thing is connections make or break you, that is the most important thing. I am not a pushy or very out spoken so I find the 'selling/schmoozing' part very tough, the work is the easy part...

I could not have worded any beter.LOL

Just because you deposit alot of money in your account or work long hours does not mean your buisness is succesful.
Always remember that this is a Labor buisness and you will always be limited on your income because of that. Each employee can only generate x amount of profit. To increase your income you have to have more employees or find a way to charge more for each employees time. I pass on large projects everyday because of the headaches, engineered drawings that are wrong, GC's that are idiots, waiting on pay and poor profit margins. I prefer homeowners myself as clients. Depending on only commercial work is a dangerous thing especially with a few for your contracts. If you only 2 cutomers and you lose one then there goes half your wqork. You have 50 customers and you lose one then it is a minor bump in the road. Always have a backup plan and be a very good stewart of your money. Save and be frugal because the well will eventually run dry if even for a short spell.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post

That last part was my thoughts too. I couldnt do it. I guess thats an advantage some people have over me. But I might even imagine that maybe there is almost a cultural difference between areas. Thats cool that you (TSS) can walk onto a construction site with a bunch of coffees for the crew to try and drum up business but that would not be accepted here. You would look like a weirdo.