Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 AM
rungreen rungreen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cabery, illinois
Posts: 148
New ram 1500's

Been looking at 2012 and 13 models, never owned a dodge. Looks much nicer than my 08 chevy. Have always herd front end were the weak point just wondering what people thought of them that have newer ones
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Blades Lawn Maintenance's Avatar
Blades Lawn Maintenance Blades Lawn Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 1,232
Ask GoldPro.. I know heh as a pipe of dodges. And Im pretty sure Krazy Kajun has a '11 or '12 Dodge
__________________
“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.”
*Les Brown


"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins


Enough Said...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,912
i like my 04 dodge. dont like torsion bar suspension on any truck tho
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,912
oh. and ALWAYS get a limited slip diff. no matter the truck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
CLS LLC's Avatar
CLS LLC CLS LLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colgate, WI
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
oh. and ALWAYS get a limited slip diff. no matter the truck
And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.
I would guess they were either real soft performance tires, or you had a bad set. i never go threw tires like that. course, i dont drive like alot of guys. i take it easy when i drive, saves gas and wear on the truck. the only time my tires skid is if im on gravel. limited slip isnt like a locking diff or 4wd. if you drive easy, your wheel wont skid and you wont lose rubber.

to my best understanding. but i sure dont go threw tires. frankly any tire that only gets 10-15k has something wrong with it, or they are super performance tires.

either way. limited slip every time, i dont like getting stuck pulling 5k lbs of sod threw mud.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
CLS LLC's Avatar
CLS LLC CLS LLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colgate, WI
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I would guess they were either real soft performance tires, or you had a bad set. i never go threw tires like that. course, i dont drive like alot of guys. i take it easy when i drive, saves gas and wear on the truck. the only time my tires skid is if im on gravel. limited slip isnt like a locking diff or 4wd. if you drive easy, your wheel wont skid and you wont lose rubber.

to my best understanding. but i sure dont go threw tires. frankly any tire that only gets 10-15k has something wrong with it, or they are super performance tires.

either way. limited slip every time, i dont like getting stuck pulling 5k lbs of sod threw mud.
The tires are General Graber AT2's, a good quality all terrain tire, by no means a performance tire.

You're not entirely correct on your under standing of a limited slip differential. In a standard clutch type limited slip, such as Dodge uses, the differential must over come a certain amount of torque preload before the tires can turn at different rates of speed. Before that torque amount is met, the tires are resisting a differential in speed, thus increasing tire wear. All manufactures set up their differentials with a different amount of torque required before differential action can take place.

A torsen differential on the other hand works all together differently, and in those the tires don't need to over come a torque preload before rotating at different speeds.

If you are interested in a better understanding of differentials, more information can be found here: http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/diffs.cfm
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
ztman ztman is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.
try the goodyear dura trac. awesome tire
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
CLS LLC's Avatar
CLS LLC CLS LLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colgate, WI
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
try the goodyear dura trac. awesome tire
I'll have to look into them. This time I went with Treadwright Warden A/T's. They are retread's, but have many positive reviews. With how fast I go through tires on my work truck, I had to find something more reasonably priced. We'll see how it goes with them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.
I have an 05 jeep TJ, 83,000 miles, limited slip rear, original tires. 01 GMC Suburban, 111,000 miles, limited slip, 68,000 first set of tires. 2nd set still going strong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.09740 seconds with 7 queries