Register free!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Price Check

Ok guys I am sure I will get some grief on this but I am going to ask anyway. I am bidding a wall project. It is 90' long and about 50' of it is 6' tall. The remaining 40' goes from 6' down to 1'. The block is going to cost me depending on what the customer chooses $4-5,000. There is a area 40'x40'x6' deep that I have remove two big stumps and all the dirt. The customer is making this area parking space. The wall will be holding back the hillside along the driveway and this new area. I figure with 2 guys it is going to take a week and half maybe a full two weeks to complete this project. I am coming up with a figure of $18,500 for this project by the time I figure 160 man hours, equipment rental and charges, material and labor. Do you guys think I am good on price or to high or to low? I have done plenty of these jobs in the past but it had been a few years so I wanna make sure I am not over charging. I also really want this project as it would be nice to have going into winter. Thanks for your advise!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what i would charge for the wall. Plus all that excavation. Are you hauling it or spreading on site
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love when people come to the forum asking for help and 9 times out of 10 in the same breath they tell us "we have done alotta walls"! LOL

Most of us are happy to help whether you're doing your first wall or your 75th wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I love when people come to the forum asking for help and 9 times out of 10 in the same breath they tell us "we have done alotta walls"! LOL

Most of us are happy to help whether you're doing your first wall or your 75th wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
They do that because certain jack$%^&* immediately tell them to go back to cutting grass, they aren't qualified, don't know what they are doing, they are in over their head, and let the "professionals" do it because they are clearly incapable of performing such a complex task.

Food for thought.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
They do that because certain jack$%^&* immediately tell them to go back to cutting grass, they aren't qualified, don't know what they are doing, they are in over their head, and let the "professionals" do it because they are clearly incapable of performing such a complex task.

Food for thought.
I never told anyone to keep cutting grass. Someone musta had a bad bad Monday

I do tell people I'm not taking their math exam for them. This topic creator wasn't looking for a that, he/she was looking to see if the price is in line with us pros. Which I do this as well once in a while. Nothin wrong with that

My whole point is - don't be afraid to ask for help. No need to qualify your asking for assistance. I think it's cute when they do that!

So I thought you were blocking my user name? Click on my profile, and find the ignore tab and click on it. Go ahead, I'll watch my visitor list
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I never told anyone to keep cutting grass. Someone musta had a bad bad Monday
Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.
It's funny, I posted my first hardscape disaster, I mean project on here to get opinions, help, and guidance. Actually it was posted while I was doing it. However before I took this project on I looked at A LOT of the responses from the so called "Gods" on this forum and learned a couple of things.

A.) Be humble when asking for criticisms, they may actually be right

B.) Post build pictures, not just end of the project. All on here would say that the prep and planning are the most important stage.

C.) Show some competence in that you tried learning before you started digging. (I attending some build day seminars by manufacturers, and read a ton of manuals/literature on building)

I got some good "Wow that was bad" or "Do this way next time" My answers were "Yea you're right" or "Yep totally missed the boat on that one", etc....... Some of the threads I read before I did mine was that many of the topic creators would get rudely offensive when someone said "You did that wrong" or "Something doesn't look right?" Instead of either explaining the why about it, it just turned into a fight because everyone didn't say "Wow looks amazing" I agree this forum is sometimes overly harshly critical, but hardscaping takes more effort to look good then putting mulch on a berm. Eventhough my project didn't turn out perfect I sure learned a lot for the next one. I won't lie, I had sweaty palms and a high heart rate posting pictures though!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
very well said Jim...the irrigation forum isn't much better, is it
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post

Food for thought.
couldn't agree more...
Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly why I said what I said. Thank you guys for your help. I felt pretty confident in my pricing but just wanted to double check. I know I would help guys out if they asked. From the sound of the guy when I met with him Saturday I believe he has already made up his mind that I will be doing the work so I will post pics of the progress of the job.
Posted via Mobile Device