Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow outs and the big east coast storm potential problems

One potential problem coming up due to the big storm involving blowouts of systems................NO ELECTRICITY to run the controller , sure you can try to chase down valve boxes , that takes too long . TAKE ALONG GENERATOR . I dont want to lose a week of prime time doing blowouts , I bought the cheap little 700 watt generator from harbor freight tools just for emergencies and to have a light weight generator .

Another possible solution is a battery pack , to power each valve from the controller , this should be possible but how long would the batteries last .
Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
One potential problem coming up due to the big storm involving blowouts of systems................NO ELECTRICITY to run the controller , sure you can try to chase down valve boxes , that takes too long . TAKE ALONG GENERATOR . I dont want to lose a week of prime time doing blowouts , I bought the cheap little 700 watt generator from harbor freight tools just for emergencies and to have a light weight generator .

Another possible solution is a battery pack , to power each valve from the controller , this should be possible but how long would the batteries last .
That seems stupid, IMHO. You should know where the valves are and flip the bleeders. Move on to the next. Good luck, looks like you might take a major hit.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
That seems stupid, IMHO. You should know where the valves are and flip the bleeders. Move on to the next. Good luck, looks like you might take a major hit.
Well if i were the only one doing blow outs , I could probably find most of the valves on systems I installed . But since I have 2 other guys and they havent seen all the properties , and alot of these systems are 15 years plus old , there are boxes buried in mulch beds , grass grown over them in the lawn , and alot we dont know where they are . Using the generator adds about 5 minutes to a blow out , where looking for valves is an unknown . I schedule my guys 8 to 12 a day and add a few as the day goes on , I shoot for 15 since i know where each house is , no time to search for valves .
Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
good luck with that one. no one want to pay to locate all those valves, and the grass has long grown over them most times.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
good luck with that one. no one want to pay to locate all those valves, and the grass has long grown over them most times.
If they are a regular client, you better damn well know where the valves are, and, if it's a cold call, convince them it's in their interest to locate them and have the boxes trimmed.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If they are a regular client, you better damn well know where the valves are, and, if it's a cold call, convince them it's in their interest to locate them and have the boxes trimmed.
Mike that would be fine in an ideal world , but it boils down to the dollar . I have 20 year customers that I dont know where the valves are , I will find them when necessary , If they arent broke dont fix em . I live in an area with the poorest rich people around .
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Mike that would be fine in an ideal world , but it boils down to the dollar . I have 20 year customers that I dont know where the valves are , I will find them when necessary , If they arent broke dont fix em . I live in an area with the poorest rich people around .
I was just talking with a forum member about that today. You are sure going to be looking like a horse's ass if you blow time and money doing something that should have been done and logged twenty years ago.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That seems stupid, IMHO. You should know where the valves are
I remember a guy a few years back that spent months looking for a valve with a faulty W/M solenoid. He even had a 521. I wonder how that that would have turned out during blow outs.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I remember a guy a few years back that spent months looking for a valve with a faulty W/M solenoid. He even had a 521. I wonder how that that would have turned out during blow outs.
He would have eaten all the damage, if it had frozen. I understand he learned a lot ( late in life) about a fully shorted solenoid with the mult-strand connected in both directions.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question for some of you cold weather guys - what is your blow out season like, in terms of start and finish? We are almost done here, and have already had two weather fronts that have gotten down to 20 degrees or lower. Sounds like our time frame is earlier, and shorter, for getting blow outs done. We occasionally will have 1-2 days after Thanksgiving where we can do a handful or two. This week is maybe 50% full, and next week we have 10-15 scheduled. So for me, waiting a week would not be an issue at this point, but that may not be the case in other areas.