Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Tiger Cat or V-Ride? Help!

I am in the need of a new scag mower and am going to use the 48 months no interest program through Sheffield. All of the mowing I do requires the grass to be picked up. The TC has a 16 bushel capacity but will cost me about $2,800 (rough estimate) more than a v-ride. V-ride comes out to like 3.2 bushel. Either way I'm going to get a 52 inch deck with a kaw. I just dont know what mower to get, any input would be nice. I mow lawns after work on Thursdays and Fridays. Most of them are in an older person trailer park and I get $11 a lawn then about 5 other normal size yards. Picking up the leaves this fall has been a little rough so I was leaning towards the TC. I need a new mower to help me get done faster as my customer base is growing due them liking my work and consistency. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$11 per yard? man and I thought I was cheap.....if you're only getting 11 bucks per yard they gotta be tiny tiny lawns. kinda hard to justify an $8000 Z for a postage stamp size lawn, no? maybe I'm missing something. Go buy a craftsman 21" push mower. it'll be way cheaper than a Scag
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

In the summer I can get 4-5 done in an hour with a toro 21 inch push mower. Trim, mow and blow. But in the fall with the leaves it takes double the time. I'm looking to pick up more customers and I only wanna mow Thursdays and Fridays after work, leaving Saturdays incase it rains. So I would need a bigger and faster machine
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bump your price up to $25 per cut and see how many lawns you still have left. For 11 bucks they probably only want your price and not so much your quality.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, 11 bucks is insane. If you still think you need a better mower, get a belt driven walk behind. then you can get one of those catchers that dumps into a trash can that rides on the front of the mower. I'd say a 36" WB would suit you fine if you're currently doing it with a 21"
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

11 bucks wont come close to covering an oil change. lol
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

He is mowing trailer park size yards......they are half the size or less than a real yard, with I guess no fences.....

Maybe something along these lines.....a TC with bagger would cut an entire trailer park in 30 minutes lol.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a park with 1,600 units. 50 and older gated community. I work at a place doing maintenance m-f 40 hours a week at $11 an hour, gonna graduate from college in may. I would say getting 4 lawns done an hour with a push mower is good money for someone like me. Thanks for the great advice tho. There are multiple big lco's that do work in the park
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well if I were you, and I'm not, I'd really look in to a good, used belt drive WB and get a velke for it. Save up and pay cash. If you're doing 4 lawns per hour with a 21" pusher, you outta triple it with a 36" or 48" WB. If you can stand on a wheel and let it pull you around, you can go in 5th gear and fly. No matter what you use, you outta be getting more than 11 bucks a yard tho. 44/hr might seem like good $, but if you charge even $15/yard, that jumps to 60/hr. If you can be more productive, you can do more yards in the same amt of time. So say even if you double productivity with a bigger mower, you're now at 8 yards per hour @15 per yard. Now you're at 120/hr minus the cost of the mower, fuel, and of course INSURANCE, LICENSING & TAXES. But I'm sure those last 3 aren't an issue. if u don't have insurance, you can find a cheap 1 mil policy for about 500 bucks a year. post back and let us know what u decide.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36" vride and 36" exmark metro wb which also has a grass catcher. Sounds like a used walk behind with a grass catcher would be better suited for you but that being said you asked about the vride and you should at least triple your production from a 21" push mower too even a 36" vride. I used to only use a 21" mower and up graded to the 36" vride and tripled my production afTer using the vride for a short period. I would think you could do 12-15 yards a hour in the park with a 52" vride if you can fit it into all the small places between trailers.