Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Foam filled tires

After so many flats and tires going down in the winter i decided to try and foam fill my tires myself. I pulled the valve stem and used insulating foam in a can reinserted the valve stem and so for so good. Anybody else ever try this? Only did it cause the cheapest no flats were like 85 each.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to mention that i ONLY did this on my two wheel sulky and no mower tires...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
After so many flats and tires going down in the winter i decided to try and foam fill my tires myself. I pulled the valve stem and used insulating foam in a can reinserted the valve stem and so for so good. Anybody else ever try this? Only did it cause the cheapest no flats were like 85 each.
Never tried it, but I'm thinking its going to eventually crush and break up in pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Never tried it, but I'm thinking its going to eventually crush and break up in pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well like i just added it was on my sulky only No mower tires.. So the only weight it has to support is me.. I hope it holds. but if not 2 new tubes and i'm back where i started..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well like i just added it was on my sulky only No mower tires.. So the only weight it has to support is me.. I hope it holds. but if not 2 new tubes and i'm back where i started..
You may be just fine, I just know that stuff crumbles when it gets old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

How about those "Tire Balls" ? I know they are available for ATV"s and such, not sure if they have anything available for a tire such for a sulky.

I searched the site and didn't find anything but then on the "Agriculture" picture it showed "Worry Free Lawn Care" so they may have some stuff but it just isn't on the site. Who knows...
Encore Premier 36" WB
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Insulation foam will crush/crack/disintegrate when used like this lol......you are going to have flat tires full of foam fluff.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
Insulation foam will crush/crack/disintegrate when used like this lol......you are going to have flat tires full of foam fluff.
That's what I was saying...it's not designed for compression.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
Well i admit this is not typically how i do things tried it it works, but did it because of the tires i found where so expensive. Like 85 each, heck i only paid 150 for the sulky new. Since posting this i did just find some from Northern tool for 50 for both with shipping. So what ever, it does work for now but i'm sure you're right would not hold up in the long run... It's funny i looked and looked and could not find none without paying an arm/leg but as soon as i posted here fould em...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well i admit this is not typically how i do things tried it it works, but did it because of the tires i found where so expensive. Like 85 each, heck i only paid 150 for the sulky new. Since posting this i did just find some from Northern tool for 50 for both with shipping. So what ever, it does work for now but i'm sure you're right would not hold up in the long run... It's funny i looked and looked and could not find none without paying an arm/leg but as soon as i posted here fould em...
That's how the cookie crumbles my friend...
Posted via Mobile Device