Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what cleaner do you use to clean mowers

my looks like crap from leaf mulching and power washing seems to really not get all the crap off the nice orange paint. is there a cleaner that helps eat grass/leaf stains of mowers better than other
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't power wash these units they are not water proof. A bunch of stuff can be damaged long term. Use air to clean them off and forget about stains.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

what cleaner do you use to clean mowers

A to Z cleaner. It's for wheels but have used on mower. They made my wheels look new. I hope it's safe for paint so read the bottle
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't care if it doesn't shine, my concern is that dirt gets inside moving parts so backpack blower for the dust and debris, dry rags and old t-shirts for engine-related gunk, everything else stays as is, I don't be using chemicals and compressed water for "grass stains" I might regret it when the paint goes to start flaking off.

Lesson learned, don't compromise the mower's paint.

The reason...
These machines are painted at the factory via a special process called powder coating.

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.

This powder coating process can NOT be duplicated!
And that is why re-painted mowers never look factory.

Last edited by herler; 11-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
my looks like crap from leaf mulching and power washing seems to really not get all the crap off the nice orange paint. is there a cleaner that helps eat grass/leaf stains of mowers better than other
Elbow grease works wonders along with some purple power or mean green. You will have half the people telling you power washing will ruin you mower and the other half will tell you they do it with no problems. The Hustler manual says specifically to just direct spray away from trans axles especially if using a pressure washer. Then in another instance says to specifically wash the mower with mild detergent and water and not use a pressure washer. The company contradicts itself.

That is the Hustler manual. I pressure wash the deck of my unit but I wait until it has cooled to do so. I do not use the highest pressure nor do I use the most aggressive tip. I think these people on here who are so adamant against using a pressure washer think we are holding the most aggressive tip we own against the pumps and trying to force water into them. Quite the contrary. when I use a pressure washer on my machine my pumps get no more wet than they would if I were mowing dew soaked grass. I also use a sponge and car wash detergent to clean my machine.

I take pride in my machine and wash it. I take this opportunity to do an inspection while I wash. I like having a clean machine that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Many on here claim they have never washed their mower and maintenance is more important that cleaning. I maintain my machine as well as wash it. They same guys that complain about a clean machine will ***** when you post a pic of a dirty machine you want to buy saying if they won't take care of the outside think of what the inside looks like. I think it boils down to what you want. My truck sits out in the weather year after year and it runs just fine. All that is covered is the engine and that is just from the top. The underside is exposed to the elements and cold. If you have ever driven in the rain, your engine is exposed to water. There is no cover on the underside of a truck.

I have said before and I will say again. Many on this forum feel they are God's gift to the green industry and the only way to do things are the way they do them. Do what you want the way you want. You are the business owner.

Do what feels right to you.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
Elbow grease works wonders along with some purple power or mean green. You will have half the people telling you power washing will ruin you mower and the other half will tell you they do it with no problems. The Hustler manual says specifically to just direct spray away from trans axles especially if using a pressure washer. Then in another instance says to specifically wash the mower with mild detergent and water and not use a pressure washer. The company contradicts itself.

That is the Hustler manual. I pressure wash the deck of my unit but I wait until it has cooled to do so. I do not use the highest pressure nor do I use the most aggressive tip. I think these people on here who are so adamant against using a pressure washer think we are holding the most aggressive tip we own against the pumps and trying to force water into them. Quite the contrary. when I use a pressure washer on my machine my pumps get no more wet than they would if I were mowing dew soaked grass. I also use a sponge and car wash detergent to clean my machine.

I take pride in my machine and wash it. I take this opportunity to do an inspection while I wash. I like having a clean machine that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Many on here claim they have never washed their mower and maintenance is more important that cleaning. I maintain my machine as well as wash it. They same guys that complain about a clean machine will ***** when you post a pic of a dirty machine you want to buy saying if they won't take care of the outside think of what the inside looks like. I think it boils down to what you want. My truck sits out in the weather year after year and it runs just fine. All that is covered is the engine and that is just from the top. The underside is exposed to the elements and cold. If you have ever driven in the rain, your engine is exposed to water. There is no cover on the underside of a truck.

I have said before and I will say again. Many on this forum feel they are God's gift to the green industry and the only way to do things are the way they do them. Do what you want the way you want. You are the business owner.

Do what feels right to you.
sounds like we clean are mowers the same way. i power wash with the lightest tip, i usually soak the mower (except engine) let sit and then power wash it with washer then get down and dirty with a rag and soap. just wondering if there was a cleaner that works better to get grass stains off. i bought my stuff looking almost new and plan on keeping it that way
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a hose to rinse the dog crap off them and that's about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only wash mine if the blower cant get the grass and crap off of the deck and moving parts. but only water, and i blow it dry with the blower. just something about washing it with water doesnt seem right to me, its like its going to rust it (in my mind).
I do wash and spray this stuff on the underside of my deck quite frequently. I got it from my mower dealer and i forgot the name. But it gets all that built up grass and crap off of there if you use it with a pressure washer and you spray it on there after it dries and next time you go to wash the underside, there wont be near as much because it prevents the grass from building up. This can actually affect your mower's performance if neglected.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

we use a de greaser.
any one will work, even ones for kitchens and cars.
it really cuts the grass right off, then just wash it off with a hose.
we do the decks, wheels regularly
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

purple power or some cleaner and a hot water pressure washer.