Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 Lawn Care Companies in same Service Area?

I've read different threads on LS where a company had 2 lawn care companies in the same service area(s). What are your thoughts on this? What are the perceived advantages to this? Or is this a completely bad idea?

Thanks everyone...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any takes out there?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How would that happen? Buy a local competitor and keep the name? The only downside i see is the expense of redundancy like paperwork equip etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
How would that happen? Buy a local competitor and keep the name? The only downside i see is the expense of redundancy like paperwork equip etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I suppose one could always start another company, and use a different crew, equipment, etc. So, suppose you had enough business to justify this why would someone try this?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have debated doing this for about three years now. I want to have two companys. One my present name of 'deeelong' landscaping(not spelling deeeelong correctly, it only has one 'e' but google likes to make these posts higher hits than my website.

And one named for example "Green Lawn Grass Mowing Company"....I feel as if companies around me who do mostly maintenance have simple easy to remember names such as total lawn care, or four seasons maintenance......

If i could come up with an extra 3-4k to advertise this "new company" I think i would double my business in one year. Catering to just lawn mowing instead of a laundry list of landscape and lawn care services we would do much better on the maintenance side.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I have debated doing this for about three years now. I want to have two companys. One my present name of 'deeelong' landscaping(not spelling deeeelong correctly, it only has one 'e' but google likes to make these posts higher hits than my website.

And one named for example "Green Lawn Grass Mowing Company"....I feel as if companies around me who do mostly maintenance have simple easy to remember names such as total lawn care, or four seasons maintenance......

If i could come up with an extra 3-4k to advertise this "new company" I think i would double my business in one year. Catering to just lawn mowing instead of a laundry list of landscape and lawn care services we would do much better on the maintenance side.
This is interesting...okay so how about 2 lawn care companies doing the exact same thing owned by the same guy. If you had a guy that could guarantee your website to be on the first page of google in 3-4 months would you consider that? Also, these two websites would have different contents, obviously different names.

I meet only about 10% of my customers. The rest have all contacted me through my website and email, etc. I can only assume that some have viewed my website and have chosen to go with another company because they liked their site better, etc., or many other reasons. So, having another website and company would enable me to possibly have that much more of an edge over my competitors. 2 high ranking websites, both bringing in traffic and customers.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
This is interesting...okay so how about 2 lawn care companies doing the exact same thing owned by the same guy. If you had a guy that could guarantee your website to be on the first page of google in 3-4 months would you consider that? Also, these two websites would have different contents, obviously different names.

I meet only about 10% of my customers. The rest have all contacted me through my website and email, etc. I can only assume that some have viewed my website and have chosen to go with another company because they liked their site better, etc., or many other reasons. So, having another website and company would enable me to possibly have that much more of an edge over my competitors. 2 high ranking websites, both bringing in traffic and customers.

That could work out I would like to do the same at some point... one offering the high end of things then just the mowing team company... only thing i could see is if the same customer called you for both of your companies and you're the same guy haha
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought about starting sister companies to make me seem bigger but also to funnel each other work and recieve more calls for their profiled work.
for example, I'm set up as a RJ Falcone GC Inc but if I made "Falcone Masonry and Concrete", "Sod King", and "Flawless Grading and Excavation" they each might get more calls for their respective area of expertise. Even though my current company does all these things, the name doesnt say it. Just like deelong says
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I thought about starting sister companies to make me seem bigger but also to funnel each other work and recieve more calls for their profiled work.
for example, I'm set up as a RJ Falcone GC Inc but if I made "Falcone Masonry and Concrete", "Sod King", and "Flawless Grading and Excavation" they each might get more calls for their respective area of expertise. Even though my current company does all these things, the name doesnt say it. Just like deelong says
Yes, and in my opinion having a company like "Sod King" would seem to specialize in that service only. As opposed to "Johnson Lawn & Landscape" Yeah Johnson could pull it up but "Sod King" is specialized in sod and could probably do a much better job.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Even directing people towards my website showing pics of all the different work I do I still get "do you do sidewalks? what about walkways? driveways? patios?" I think even concrete and masonry is to generic for some people to grasp but where do you stop? sod king, paver pros, sir stoops alot, patio boss, mulch man etc. I guess if you're big enough you go for it and then when people sue patio boss for a trip and fall you dont lose paver pros and sir stoops alot too!