Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

truck bed dump insert questions.

hey guys, I do 99% landscape maintenance, very little construction. I think I've given in to wanting to buy a dump insert for my chev 2500. been using a load handler for years, and it won't pull out a heavy load of wet leaves if they get packed behind the wheel wells(which they do all the time).

anyway, i've been looking around at truck craft inserts and the poly dumperdogg insert. your thoguhts?

it seems like they take up a lot of bed space, and you couldn't carry nearly as much as in a normal truck bed? is that true, or is it not that big of a deal?

also, what brands have done you guys well, as far as cost and longevity are concerned?

thanks in advance for your input, it's much appreciated. ok, out the door for another day of leaves
Old 11-23-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

i just bought a used bri mar insert and its actually quite big you really dont loose that much space. And most are avg 2yrds and they will dump anything for the most part. Aslong as you dont over load it obviously and at that point your probably over the truck capacity. It makes life a lot easier leaves,mulch, anything you had to shovel it just dumps. the only compaint i have about the bri mar is that its power down, it not very fast and i have worked for a company who has ez dumpers and they are gravity down and they were beat the only things with ez dumper is its gravity down (quicker) and the tailgates are very strong theirs were bent out in the middle.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Truck craft with the telescoping piston are pretty nice. They sit low and doesnt look as f you would lose any space. We dont own one but my equipment dealer sells them. They look to be of nice quality for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin uses load handler & put plywood in his bed angled in from top of bed to floor to keep leaves from being behind wheel well.

I just bought 8' EZ Dumper & you do lose bed space. If insert holds 2yds then I lost 1yd of space cuz I hauled 3yds in my truck before insert. Side boards will fix the space lost though. I put 29.5" side boards on my insert & think I will probably get 5-6yds on it. I also have 3/4 ton & will beef up leaf springs next season before mulch. I have a buddy that works at a spring shop, says it'll be more than 1 ton capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 11-23-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a used truckcraft alum insert works well. The ease of unloading makes up for for the loss of space.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback guys. i would love it find a good used one, but they seem a little harder to come by on the west coast. all of the ones I've found are over east.

do you guys have any experience with the dumperdogg poly insert? i was looking into them more, but curious how tough the poly is, and how well it will hold up over time?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Havent seen a poly dump in person. I have looked at the dumper dogg insert and i would stick with truck craft or ez dump. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will be losing weight capacity, amount varies by insert.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been looking at the EZ dump, truck craft and the z dump trying to get prices to determind what one I wanna go with. You will have to keep us updated.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

well, i think i've decided on a ez dump. i can't get truckcraft in my area at all. i called dumperdog and was not impressed with the distributor in my area, or the price or the weight of the unit. i think the steel was close to 1k pounds empty and the poly was over 1100 pounds.

i'm going with ez dump, the distributor was super helpful, and cost for the unit and install was very reasonable.

i'll try and check back in after a few months of using it to let you guys know what i think.

thanks again for the help