Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cummins or Duramax?

I've got an '05 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke and an '08. The '05 has seen a lot of work lately and it's not worked all that hard. I only have 80k miles on it and keep up with all maintenance however it's getting expensive to maintain as more components fail.

My 2008 6.4 Powerstroke has been relatively problem free but I understand that when it does need major engine work, I'm going to have to pull the cab. That would be a major inconvenience especially if I install a flatbed this year.

Question for those in the know: Does the new Dodge's or Chevy's require the cab to be pulled for major work? My mechanic tells me the new Cummins is still bulletproof but the body won't be as stout as my Ford's. He said the Duramax/Chevy was dependable.

I'm not looking for a brand bash here but I've not owned a dodge with Cummins in 10 years. Never had a Duramax so I'm looking for good info that I can use to make a purchase decision. I appreciate the help but please let's keep this civil and on topic.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I've got an '05 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke and an '08. The '05 has seen a lot of work lately and it's not worked all that hard. I only have 80k miles on it and keep up with all maintenance however it's getting expensive to maintain as more components fail.

My 2008 6.4 Powerstroke has been relatively problem free but I understand that when it does need major engine work, I'm going to have to pull the cab. That would be a major inconvenience especially if I install a flatbed this year.

Question for those in the know: Does the new Dodge's or Chevy's require the cab to be pulled for major work? My mechanic tells me the new Cummins is still bulletproof but the body won't be as stout as my Ford's. He said the Duramax/Chevy was dependable.

I'm not looking for a brand bash here but I've not owned a dodge with Cummins in 10 years. Never had a Duramax so I'm looking for good info that I can use to make a purchase decision. I appreciate the help but please let's keep this civil and on topic.
You will have to pull the cab on any ford from the 6.0-6.7. Its just alot easier to work on. Many jobs can be done cab on tho. If you keep the 6.4 stock i would get rid of it but if you delete the dpf and tune it that engine is very reliable and makes alot of power. As far as the cummins vs duramax, my vote goes to duramax. The duramax engine is top notch and is very reliable and the truck overall is very good with the new frames and suspension upgrades that gm made. The cummins engine is good but the truck overall isnt as rigid.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstan2010 View Post
You will have to pull the cab on any ford from the 6.0-6.7. Its just alot easier to work on. Many jobs can be done cab on tho. If you keep the 6.4 stock i would get rid of it but if you delete the dpf and tune it that engine is very reliable and makes alot of power. As far as the cummins vs duramax, my vote goes to duramax. The duramax engine is top notch and is very reliable and the truck overall is very good with the new frames and suspension upgrades that gm made. The cummins engine is good but the truck overall isnt as rigid.
this dude is dead on...

cummins and duramax have done the least throughout the years changing stuff, obviously ford has had the worst track record but in my opinion the best overall built truck, as a package...i too have the 6.4 and personally i love it, but the emissions are starting to piss me off...i have 111,000 on it now, only problem i have had was to replace the radiator, other than that has been reliable in every way...it gets stuck in regen a lot and smokes, but hopefully i will be able to afford the egr and dpf delete soon...from what i hear the 6.4 is one of the most powerful chipped engines around...the main thing i hate about dodges is they are the first to rust and have transmission problems, most cheaply built of the 3...what i hate about GM is they are the worst looking, until they got to the 2007 model i believe...

i vote stay with your 6.4...i agree it sucks to have to pay for the cab to come off but they are designed to come off quickly

if you go with a duramax i would go with the LBZ...if you get a cummins i would get a 5.9, both around the 2006-7, just before emissions...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
this dude is dead on...

cummins and duramax have done the least throughout the years changing stuff, obviously ford has had the worst track record but in my opinion the best overall built truck, as a package...i too have the 6.4 and personally i love it, but the emissions are starting to piss me off...i have 111,000 on it now, only problem i have had was to replace the radiator, other than that has been reliable in every way...it gets stuck in regen a lot and smokes, but hopefully i will be able to afford the egr and dpf delete soon...from what i hear the 6.4 is one of the most powerful chipped engines around...the main thing i hate about dodges is they are the first to rust and have transmission problems, most cheaply built of the 3...what i hate about GM is they are the worst looking, until they got to the 2007 model i believe...

i vote stay with your 6.4...i agree it sucks to have to pay for the cab to come off but they are designed to come off quickly

if you go with a duramax i would go with the LBZ...if you get a cummins i would get a 5.9, both around the 2006-7, just before emissions...
I say get your tuner and delete pipe now if you can. The epa is investigating h&s and they have stopped all production of tuners but they are still in stock at most places but not for long. order now if you keep that truck. I have h&s mini, afe cold intake, and flo pro 5inch exhaust. The truck is a monster and has tons of power.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tha'ts what I'm looking for.. a comparison between frames if both motors are reliable in the GM and Dodge.

My 6.4 is a crew cab dually 4x4. Nice truck. Almost ready to put a flatbed on to make front line truck and turn my 2005 into my bid/support truck. After talking with my mechanic whom I have respect for, I'm rethinking things. I have considered doing the EGR delete and tune it but the motor is still under warranty for awhile longer as is the tranny.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's hard to beat a duramax. Chevy hasn't changed motors since like 01. All the have done is different injectors and heads. Where as ford and cummins change everything every few years. I have 2 duramax and don't have any complaints with either.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
It's hard to beat a duramax. Chevy hasn't changed motors since like 01. All the have done is different injectors and heads. Where as ford and cummins change everything every few years. I have 2 duramax and don't have any complaints with either.
how much weight do you haul? I'm at about 23,500-to 24k when I'm maxed out including truck, trailer, and machine.

Does anyone know if the service is "simpler" on the Cummins or Duramax?

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
how much weight do you haul? I'm at about 23,500-to 24k when I'm maxed out including truck, trailer, and machine.

Does anyone know if the service is "simpler" on the Cummins or Duramax?
routine maintenance is relatively the same on both the cummins and the dmax. the cummins has a little more working space around the engine, its not as tight as the duramax is. like the others if you are going to keep the ford replce the egr and dpf delete asap. otherwise i would get the duramax. its strong gets great mileage i have had no complaints with 220k miles and going strong. i can pull about 18k lbs no problem.

John Deere Quik Traks
Redmax Handhelds
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cummins or Duramax?

Only thing I wanted to add was the 6.0 does not need the cab removed to do major work to it. Just bulletproofed my truck entirely with cab on .was it a *****? only the passenger side two head bolts but with the proper tool from snap-on you don't need to remove the hvac box or cab.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Cummins
Posted via Mobile Device