Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cable-roll off vs hook

Looking at getting one of these, tri or quad axle. Uses would be moving equipment, as an additional dump and moving bins for construction waste. What are pro and cons of each. I see the hook being more stable unloading bins and equipment and the cable possibly lighter with more maintenance? Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hook hands down. Lot more expensive up front but well worth it. You dont have to get out of the truck. You can push the box off where ever you want it no matter what angle or grade you are at. With a cable you have to just let gravity do its thing. Cables are scary I snaped two before we switched to a hook. I have also seen someone else slice through the cab of a truck. It sounds like we use ours about the same as you would. We move equipment all the time on our flatbed, also use it as a dump truck, as well as renting out boxes. I think the hook is going to have a much better dump angle for you.

As far as maintenance goes we greas it once a week and change the hydro oil and filters once a year... pretty easy!!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what brand of hook and truck you running? Any must haves?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Currently we have a freightliner with a Galbreath. I am very partial to Galbreath and really like them because of the smplicity of them. They do not have alot of excess moving parts and they are pretty much bullet proof as long as you grease them and change the oil once a year. Only tip I have, would be to spend the extra money and get a higher capacity hoist then you think you need, you will thank yourself in the long run.

As far as chassis go we have had a few, I think it is all personal preference. Stick with one of the big names and as long as you do your research you will be fine. Our Freightliner is up to be replaced next year. I will most likely go with a KW this time around.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we own a tri axle cable style 2006 International Pay star. We have not had a single problem with it. I dont have any experience with the hook style roll off so i cant say much about them. On the other hand we have never had a cable break, or not been able to pick a bin up. The cable style system requires a bit more concentration , and forward thinking by the driver. Knowing what angles of the hoist produce less stress on the cable is key. I have never had a problem or issue with hoping out of the truck to hook up the cable because normally I am hoping out anyways to unload a machine, put a tarp on the load,etc. Mine is used strictly for hauling material ( concrete, asphalt, mastic, and some dirt) from my own jobs. I rarely use it to haul dirt unless i am working on a job that using the roll off makes it easier. If i need to haul large amounts of dirt i hire in trucks. I belive my truck has 24' rails , 40 tonne hoists, and we have a roller that can be hydraulically raised/lowered from the cab. This is useful when loading heavy boxes, as it keeps the front wheels on the ground.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple pictures of the truck. These were the only pictures i had on my mac and they are the dirtiest the truck has ever been, sorry!
Attached Images

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man i could find a ton of uses for a rolloff truck.
Posted via Mobile Device