Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clean out fuel tank?

I ran the gas all the way down in my mower the other day to almost dry. When I was refilling I noticed that there is a lot of sediment and dirt in the bottom of the tank. The clear fuel filter also has a good amount of very fine debris in it.

Would it be ok to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank once its empty and run the water hose through it to wash all that debris out? I obviously know that it needs to be 100% dry before refilling but just wanted to post to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

Its a 36" exmark walk behind.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone????
Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

as long as its a plastic tank, i would do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Blowing out with a long nozzled air hose should do the job.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wash it out with gas.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, sure ! Wash it out with WATER, that will work !!!!!! NOT

The best way is to remove the tank, leaving a little gas in it, swish it around and turn it upside down, while using a long nozzled air gun to blow all the crap out.
You can also use a length of fuel line hose stuck on the end of a short blow-gun, it will whip around like crazy in the tank and get every bit out.

......AMF!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, I see Ive gotten 2 different takes on my question. It is a plastic tank. I thought about using gas, but why waste gas if it's going to drain out the bottom like water anyways? Im not going to fill it back up for a few days and was going to leave the fuel line disconnected and lid off during that time. I even thought about blowing air in with a backpack blower or shop vac as well.

Just seems like a water hose would be easier, wouldn't have to catch it all like I would if I used gas.

BIGFISH;
I mean, if it is truly a bad idea, can you elaborate why?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
I ran the gas all the way down in my mower the other day to almost dry. When I was refilling I noticed that there is a lot of sediment and dirt in the bottom of the tank. The clear fuel filter also has a good amount of very fine debris in it.

Would it be ok to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank once its empty and run the water hose through it to wash all that debris out? I obviously know that it needs to be 100% dry before refilling but just wanted to post to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

Go a head and do it, your not going to hurt a thing. Half of these people have never done it them selves, but they are going to tell you how to do it. Ha HA Ha Very funny. Just use common sence.

Exmark Lazer ZX 29 hp Kaw 60in.
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 19hp Kaw 48in.
Honda HRX 217 21in.
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl FS94R Trimmer
Stihl FS250R Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Edger
Stihl BR600 BackPack Blower
Stihl MS261 Pro Chain Saw
Echo CS 310 Chain Saw
Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw
Stihl SG20 BackPack Sprayer
Kawasaki KHT 600D Hedge Trimmer
Kawasaki KCL 525A Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post

I have a 48in with the same gas tank. It has a pretty large gas cap. Just drain the tank and get someone with small hands to reach inside with a rag and wipe it clean, that is what I did, had my girlfriend do it. Worked great.

Exmark Lazer ZX 29 hp Kaw 60in.
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 19hp Kaw 48in.
Honda HRX 217 21in.
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl FS94R Trimmer
Stihl FS250R Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Edger
Stihl BR600 BackPack Blower
Stihl MS261 Pro Chain Saw
Echo CS 310 Chain Saw
Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw
Stihl SG20 BackPack Sprayer
Kawasaki KHT 600D Hedge Trimmer
Kawasaki KCL 525A Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake101 View Post
Go a head and do it, your not going to hurt a thing. Half of these people have never done it them selves, but they are going to tell you how to do it. Ha HA Ha Very funny. Just use common sence.
Well thanks I appreciate that. When I first thought about doing it I asked myself what could the negatives be? That's why I posted because I couldn't think of any with the only one being; making a dumb choice to fill it back up with gas without drying it out and having water in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake101 View Post
I have a 48in with the same gas tank. It has a pretty large gas cap. Just drain the tank and get someone with small hands to reach inside with a rag and wipe it clean, that is what I did, had my girlfriend do it. Worked great.
Funny you mention that, I was thinking of doing the same thing! I know my fat hand and forearm is not making it past the threading where the lid screws on!