Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Winterizing equipment

Hi I'm just wondering what are some good winterizing routines that everyone uses.. I always seem to have some piece of equipment that doesn't want to start in the spring. I understand that some things will just not start no matter how well they are taking care of. Thanks for the input
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

run or drain all the gas out (after you drain the gas, run the engine until it shuts off, to remove gas from the lines and carberator), spray lubricant all over it and lightly wipe it with a rag, put a drop of oil on the spark plug, disconnect the battery, and cover it with something and put it in a dry place away from sunlight to prevent moisture from accumulating in the engine. and be sure to change the oil, air filter, fuel filter, etc when its time to put it back to work.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and also its not a bad thing if you put a little tiny bit of fresh gas in it and run it until it runs out like once a month or so, while its winterized, just to keep the cobwebs out.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i drain the gas from my equipment and let the start them and let them run until they stall, and that's it, then I'll start them up every month or so to make sure they run fine still especially once it starts getting closer to march.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We run diesels so running them until they stall is a bad idea. We wash/blow out, grease check all fluids fill fuel tanks and run stabil through the system.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont have any big equipment, I only have two 21 in and then blower, trimmer and leaf vac. So it looks like go with draining gas and check it few times over winter. Thanks for the input
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I turn off the fuel line and run mine dry at idle, fill the gas tanks and add a stablilizer. Since they're stored in an unheated shed I pull the batteries and store them in my garage, which isn't heated but consistently stays above freezing.

I'm going to do some work to both of my bigger mowers over the winter this year. The starter on the Tracer is on it's last leg, the rear deck struts on the Lazer need replacement as do the fuel valve and ignition switch...been running on one tank lately. Both could use a valve adjustment I think and a hydro service/oil change. The tracer gets a lot of debris behind the engine shrouds so I'll pull those and blow things out good. I'll probably do the Lazer too but it's much less of an issue on that machine.

I usually work as long as I can so I won't do anything to winterize them until there's snow on the ground.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I add stabil, then run the machine until I feel confident that stabilized fuel is in the lines and carb. Then I top off the tank...really top it off. I change the oil in the mowers.

I also will start the machines 2 or 3 times over the winter when I have nothing else to do. And I trickle charge the mowers from time to time.

Ten years, never a problem.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fill tanks and add stabilizer. Run engine to get stabilizer through out fuel system and into carb. This will prevent condensation from building up in empty tanks and carb bowl.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

interesting stuff. I usually just ran sea foam. What is the benefit of topping off the tank?