Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough Decision: Do I Allow Seasonal Unemployment?

Work is going to come to an end soon and I have two employees that are asking me what the options are...should i make them get another job for the 2.5 months until next season or should i allow unemployment?...they also wouldn't be available for snow removal (if it ever snows again) if they did get another job...i've just never been through this and am not very educated on unemployment
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You do not get to allow their unemployment. It is something they pay into and if they meet the conditions than it is their right to use it. It is a state issue and only they get to decide the eligibility. What you can do is fight it if you feel they are obtaining it fraudulently like in working another job or padding dates etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As stated above, you don't get to allow unemployment, simply put, they either work for you or they don't. If they don't they have e right to try and collect unemployment and/or go get another job they they choose to. You have zero control over that, unless you keep them employeed but at reduced hours per week then they might be able to collect a partial unemployment
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your employees will need to check with the state to see whether they even qualify for seasonal unemployment. Last I knew, there are 10+ states that have closed the ability to collect for anticipated seasonal unemployment, usually based on time-frame or industry. For some states, landscaping is exempt from the seasonal classification. Essentially, for recurring, seasonal unemployment scenarios, the employees knew what they were getting into when they took the job, so that gap in employment is now on them.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
You do not get to allow their unemployment. It is something they pay into and if they meet the conditions than it is their right to use it. It is a state issue and only they get to decide the eligibility. What you can do is fight it if you feel they are obtaining it fraudulently like in working another job or padding dates etc.

I agree with everything you said except for one part. The employees do not pay into unemployment. We the employer pay out the butt for their unemployment. Each quarter we pay state unemployment and in forth quarter we pay both state and federal unemployment.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Most of what you said is right this line isn't. The employer pays into the fund not the employee it comes out of our money not the employees check.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i guess what i'm asking is is it normal practice for unemployment for the 3 months or so for good employees, or do most push for their employees to get a job to get them by for the time being...

what do you guys do?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pay careful attention to this answer/question. Have YOU been paying into unemployment?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
Pay careful attention to this answer/question. Have YOU been paying into unemployment?
Son.. given that he's asking the question that he is asking here, I'll almost, ALMOST be willing to bet that he has not been paying into it every quarter.. but hey I COULD be wrong, after all I thought I would win SOMETHING on that big Powerball drawing and didn't even match 1 solitary number...

So to the original poster, given you are asking the question, you would be best to continue paying your guys (however you pay them) for the off season or else when they put your name down on the form, the $hits going to hit the fan pretty quickly for you..
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Son.. given that he's asking the question that he is asking here, I'll almost, ALMOST be willing to bet that he has not been paying into it every quarter.. but hey I COULD be wrong, after all I thought I would win SOMETHING on that big Powerball drawing and didn't even match 1 solitary number...

So to the original poster, given you are asking the question, you would be best to continue paying your guys (however you pay them) for the off season or else when they put your name down on the form, the $hits going to hit the fan pretty quickly for you..
Where's the like button