Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys ever drop your price?

Hello all,
My brother and I started a lawn care business this year. So far it's been good and we have been getting more and more customers. My question is this. Do you guys ever drop your price if a customer reacts poorly to a quote? I had an interesting experience today and just wanted thoughts.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes. very rarely do i do this. the term is called "bumping". and in the lawn industry, if your talking about trim, mow, blow and go's, its usually between $5-10, but ONLY if the client says something about it and ONLY if I know that I messed up and quoted the client too high. I never do this just to get the job. I try my best to quote fairly, but I never lowball.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

if you are not to hungry for the work your price should be your price. if you get every job you are too low. I guess there are always factors involved like bidding next door to one you already do.

If someone tries to wittle me down , maybe i dont want to work for them as i priced it fair to begin with.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I do...depending on the situation. For example, if its an area of town I'm not in and would like to be more active in, then yes I will. Or, if its on the same block as existing customers then I'll lower it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, only on larger existing accounts, and only if the profit margins allow it. My experience with dropping prices for new customers has been repeatedly bad. For some reason they turn out to be the customers that feel for the money they are paying you, you should also clean windows, do the dishes, and take their kids to soccer practice.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Yes I do...depending on the situation. For example, if its an area of town I'm not in and would like to be more active in, then yes I will. Or, if its on the same block as existing customers then I'll lower it.
so basically anywhere...lol
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
so basically anywhere...lol
Not really...if its an area I don't want to be in then I wouldn't drop the price there.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Not really...if its an area I don't want to be in then I wouldn't drop the price there.
Why would you even do an estimate for an area you didn't work in?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Usually the only way I drop my price is if the scope of work changes too.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

No price dropping here, show confidence in your original estimate, dropping the price shows you were trying to get one over on them. When you hire me you are also paying for reliability and trustworthyness, for instance if your lawn doesn't need cut this week I am not the one to gouge you, I will go to the next yard and catch it next week. I have landed alot of jobs offering this, I got an extra $35.00 off a job, the original company was cutting it for $65.00 and was trying to cut it once a week, I came in and bid $100 and thought I was lowballing myself by $25.00 already. She told me what they charged and how they were trying to mow once a week and bump it up $10.00 each time. I said well $100 is my bid and I have to stay with that, obviously they way under bid it. It took me 4 hrs to mow and weed wack the first time and got it down to 3 hrs the second time and was invited back in the spring.