Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Police officers i need your advice!

All right,
Here's the deal, doing a clean up today and we ended up briefly blocking the road while sucking up the wing row of leaves we created.
Of course at the same time a police car pulled up and a young officer gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and starts flailing his arms and screaming at the top of his lungs. I fully understand we should not have blocked the road and that we were in the wrong for this.
The problem I'm having with this is the totally unprofessional ay in which he conducted himself. Screaming at us to get out of the way and to move our equipment and that if our truck is there when he comes by he is going to start writing tickets while the whole time screaming. He then says he is on a call and then gets back in the cruiser only to pull around our leaf truck , stop and begin yelling out of the window again! So as far as his call I'm pretty sure he was lying.

So to finish my rant I need advice on whether or not I should even bother heading to the police department tomorrow afternoon just to speak with the officer in charge about the incident or could this land me in more unwanted attention ? Or would it even do me any good at all? I just feel this officer was way out of line.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so you are blocking a road which is unprofessional, ranting about a cop who is screaming which you think is unprofessional. Yes, do go and complain and stir up the hornets nest.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
so you are blocking a road which is unprofessional, ranting about a cop who is screaming which you think is unprofessional. Yes, do go and complain and stir up the hornets nest.
Already said we were in the wrong but my question was should his behavior be tolerated?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
Already said we were in the wrong but my question was should his behavior be tolerated?

two wrongs don't make it right, let it die.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leave it be and watch your P's and Q's when doing that account in the future. Chances are a neighbor called and complained about you blocking the road. Be happy he let you off with a warning. Going to the station would only put a bulls-eye on your trucks in the future.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leave it alone unless he writes you.

Then ask him how yelling and screaming is being a public servant? Then ask his sergeant.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He was just looking for a "TIP"
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Report it to the Chief immediately. If that Officer can't maintain his composure in something as minor as a traffic infraction he needs to be re-evaluated by his supervisor. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff and if one of my men demonstrated that kind of unprofessional behavior he would written up and suspended for three days. With any luck it may have been recorded if he had an in-car camera. Did he turn his overhead emergency lights on? That usually engages the auto-record if his patrol car is equipped with a camera system. More and more agencies use the cameras these days. Don't be afraid to bring this to the attention of his department. They need to weed out the cowboys.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd probably drop his superior a line if you caught his badge number, name or car number. If not, don't bother.

Unless he came around the corner lights and siren going wild and you didn't get out of his way hes just being an ass, clearly you're working on something, attending the truck and don't plan on sitting there long. Local PD is pretty forgiving about this sort of thing around here if you aren't on a major road.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a cop in a big city my opinion is leave it alone. Was it unprofessional, probably. But were you in the wrong as well....yes. Nothing is going to happen to you and you never know what kind of day he was having. Even if you complain, it wont do you any good and nothing will become of it on his end so go about your day tomorrow and forget about it. He probably dosent know what kind of issues we deal with as landscapers and anyone who isnt a cop has no idea what we could have delt with 5 min before as police officers....dont let it get to you and tomorrows a new day!