Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who to task with Maintenance?

Hi folks just a quick question. I am putting together employee responsibilities for next season and would like to check which you have found to work the best: mowing crews servicing their own machine regularly or having one or two specific people dedicated to servicing all the equipment? They each have benefits - if they serviced their own equipment they would learn how everything work and probably be more careful about hitting small rocks and things with the blades. But if one person was given the responsibility he it would probably be more synchronized. Thoughts? Thank you!

Jason
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The one with the most mechanical ability. Kick him a little more money too. Some guys can't operate a grease gun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a point there. Maybe one guy from each crew should be made in charge of maintenance and parts when they are needed for that crew's equipment.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The owner of the equiptment should do it, or it wont get done.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your input, but it doesn't have to be that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The supervisor is to make sure that all equipment is full of and gas and ready for the next day. Everyone comes in on Friday and all maintenance is done, My supervisor and I assign a peace of equipment to each employee and it is up to them to make sure it gets done. I let everyone know that if it's not done they will be held responsible, and possibly let go.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, thanks a lot - that helps. So you have part of one day where everyone works on the equipment that's assigned to them. Perfect. I like the accountability you expect.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only work solo, but my son helps at times, so I dont have any experience with the crew concept when it comes to lawn care. But my primary job is a supervisor, and my thoughts would be to ensure crews are responsible for maintaining their equipment properly. If one person is lacking in mechanical ablilities, they are a crew..and a team. They should work together to teach the person and bring them up to speed on at least the basics. Maybe they cant do engine overhauls, but everyone should be capable of changing oil, air filters, and plugs as a minimum.

By maintaining the equipment, they understand whats involved, and will take better care of it IMO.

Every once in a while, you could do spot checks on the different crews and offer incentives for crews taking the extra effort maybe, or for a crew whos equipment was washed. lubricated, or whatever at the end of the day because they took the extra time to care for it...Example: gift cards to a resturant for doing additional maintenance, or whatever the case may be. Im just spit ballin here....LOL...so dont shoot holes by looking at my specific examples. Its just meant as a concept...some may agree...some may not. I do feel a few guys are going to be more capable at the maintenace, and those guys should have the ability to concentrate on the more compicated repairs, and not have to be constantly cleaning air filters, or changin oil and mixing gas. Everyone should be able to perform the basic repairs on the equipment that we are using every day.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
20?? Gravely ZT1534 34" ZTR
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower with Honda engine
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl SG20 Back Pack Sprayer
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

RBLJACK - Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate your taking the time to share your insight especially with a good background in managing. That's a great idea about the incentive - I love doing little things to keep morale up! I think I'll also do up a "cheat sheet" for each mower showing general maintenance guidelines and steps to be done and checked off weekly/monthly.

Jason
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
RBLJACK - Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate your taking the time to share your insight especially with a good background in managing. That's a great idea about the incentive - I love doing little things to keep morale up! I think I'll also do up a "cheat sheet" for each mower showing general maintenance guidelines and steps to be done and checked off weekly/monthly.

Jason
ive put some thought into this. I'm soloish right now and next year i'm hiring a girl who have been in this industry a bit and i'm going to be giving her own truck/mower/trailer. What I plan on doing is making a check of sheet of all the daily maintenance and then have her sign it and hand it into me along with any other comments. Also I was thinking about having a prepaid card so she could buy needed stuff if she got in a pinch such as oil, coolant/ fuel/ tire repair and so on. I whoever tuns my equipment to understand how it work so they know when something is wrong and maybe be able to trouble shoot issues when they happen.