Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Kolher Courage 22HP

I have a Troy Bilt 50" Zero turn with a Kolher Courage 22HP Model #SV715.

The problem I'm having is the first start of the day. I have to boost or put the charger on before it will start. After the first start it starts fine the rest of the day. Also after shutting the engine off it has a little pop or back fire.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouzrid View Post
I have a Troy Bilt 50" Zero turn with a Kolher Courage 22HP Model #SV715.

The problem I'm having is the first start of the day. I have to boost or put the charger on before it will start. After the first start it starts fine the rest of the day. Also after shutting the engine off it has a little pop or back fire.
No need for a reply. I figured it out
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouzrid View Post
No need for a reply. I figured it out
Finally an update on my starting problem. 1) I found the choke leaver that was made of plastic had melted. I couldn't find a choke kit to to repair it with so I bought a new carb. 2) I replaced the starter and that solved my problems. I found tewarehouse.com had very good prices on the items I needed.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What was the problem?
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes. What was the problem? My 18HP does the same thing sometimes.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the long delay in replying. It seems what I though was the problem wasn't. I found the Positive cable corroded and replaced it. The mower started fine for a day or two and started back with the same problem. With that being said the next thing I'm going to do is replace the starter. I found a web site that has a starter for less than $80....http://www.psep2.biz/pages/OemParts?...OGS%7c%7e34676....
This will have to wait until spring, when I'll need the mower again. I'm also going to see if it can be rebuilt.

Last edited by Nouzrid; 12-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The starter has nothing to do with the back firing. Several years ago, I owned a Grasshopper with Kohler 20 hp. The engine gave me problems at start up. The pro models now has seemed to remedy the problem with the installation of a electronic bowl float shut off. All engines pretty much comes equipped with them now. The other thing was that sudden flow of fuel into the carb and then the shut off. The excess fuel burns, pops through those large muffler systems.
I would make sure your carb is clean, check fuel filter. I might ask if this mower is equipped with the loop fuel system. If something is wrong with the air flow.....the epa thing, the mower will act funny until it is replaced. Anyway, when you fill up the tank, does the gas cap make a ratchetting sound. Similar to your car cap, if it is getting too much air into the system, things go wrong.
I can't help much more than these little tips. I really don't think it is your starter.
Take the thing off and take it to O'Reilley's, Auto Zone, or Pep Boys and have it checked out before you invest in another one.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I have found that mine backfires much less if I let it idle down to just above kill before I shut it off. I have had to jump mine only once but a lot of the time, on a cold start, the starter will not spin the first couple of times I hit the key.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Correct,
By throttling down on the engine speed to half throttle position remedies the back fire at the key.
I really got tired of this imposing on productivity. The lower Kohler engine product line and most other non-commercial engines do not have the fuel bowl shut off control. You will have backfire otherwise. In the case of hard starting, it kinds of goes with the flow of fuel through the carb at startup. The electronic devise controls a lot of these problems. Now when this controller goes out, most times the engine won't start over on the second time.
This devise has its good and bad.

We get what we pay for.!!