Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

When to, And how to hire first employee, or employees

I have been doing it solo for the past 3 years and i tihnk i am ready to hire someone and hopefully 2-3. It has been hard since i am only 22.

I am just looking for input or advice on how or what you guys did to get that first employee or employees and how you went about it.

I Have enough work to keep me busy a good 10-13 hours a day during peek seasons and an average of 8 a day during summer. but i am trying to triple my business this year. cant get anywhere if you dont set goals right?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

also, i have around 25 custmers i service weekly and other odds and ends stuff.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm running in to the same issue at the moment. Myself and a friend have ran the business for the last 4 years, but it's becoming too much so we will likely focus on landscaping, and hire someone to take the load off the cuts. I'd appreciate any advice people have on the hiring and training process (especially considering that we are both young, and being a manager will be something new to us).
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When to, And how to hire first employee, or employees

Take a business class, read up on HR ask a person in HR questions. I have had no luck with employees they never tripled my income just the opposite the only thing you gain is time with your family when things go right and less hard work on you when they decide to show up.
You must realize that everything you do by yourself will be be done slower and with less care. Oh and dont forget that their problems now become yours its like having a child. Good luck
Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

i get that an employee isnt going to triple my income. but have a extra hand or two will take the work load off extremly which in such take on more jobs. or be able to hand that 30 yard mulch job with clean up in two or 3 days, instead of 2 weeks.

i have also had custmers hire of landscapers to do jobs for them since they would be too big for me to handle by myself.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hire your first employee when you can no longer physically keep up with your schedule and have purchased EVERY piece of equipment to increase production. Before you hire someone make sure you have the equipment to support them. Make sure that employee can gross enough to pay for themselves, the equipment they operate, and your employer burden. Last thing, make sure you have STEADY work, no one wants to work 40 hours one week and then 10 the next.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

College and high school kids make great summer weed eaters! They also don't care much about hours and can only work from June til August.

Hiring a guy doesn't mean that a job will take half as long. Keep that in mind.

I run solo but may hire a full time guy this year. I've had a college kid help the past few summers. I don't finish in half the time but he saves some wear and tear on my body.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

i understand that about an employee isnt going to make my time cut in half. just looking for input on how to go about finding that first one, and the steps it took.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsyscapes View Post
i understand that about an employee isnt going to make my time cut in half. just looking for input on how to go about finding that first one, and the steps it took.
Hire 5 guys for when week, after that you'll probably be left with two to choose from. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, for every one "good" employee you find there will be at least 4 you'll have to go through to get there.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Hire 5 guys for when week, after that you'll probably be left with two to choose from. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, for every one "good" employee you find there will be at least 4 you'll have to go through to get there.
I know this is old, but it's completly true. I have 4 friends I've hired before and the first one I hired happened to be the best. I think it's because he is the most like me but doesn't care to own his own business. He rather work for someone else. One was absolutely terrible and I'm convinced that he will rely on his wife to bring home the bacon when he's older, another was good but was trying to go to fast and was too cocky and over exaggerated everything, so overall he wouldn't work and the second best was my best friend and he worked pretty well, wasn't as fast, but was careful and did an overall good job, I know him to well to let him work for me by himself though. So out of the four friends, I would only trust one, while I'm not there.
They are also all my friends and I would say that's a good place to start looking for employees, you just can't be too hard on them, if you want to stay friends. That's pretty easy to do though as long as you make sure they know what you expect and that if they don't work out just let them know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cgrant711; 06-01-2014 at 09:52 PM.