Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag owners: Purchasing info. needed

I have never purchased a Scag, due only to the fact that my dealer no longer carries them. That being said, I have a chance to buy some older "new" inventory, from another dealer, at a reduced rate. The mowers are;

2011 SVR52V-26FX Stander 6.5K

2010 SWZV Pro-V 52" Hydro Walk Behind 4.5K

Price $11K for both

Price seems very good for quality machines. How is the reliability? We use standers now, so it would only be a manufacturer change.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt buy a Pro-V, but that may be just me.....

14 Years old
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

The new model stander has a fold up rear deck like the toros do. So buying the new model would be like buying both. Just saw it at my dealer on a 36. It is a sweet set up. That will make moving the one he is trying to sell you real hard

Think about the dealer you would be doing him a real favor by taking two machines he is paying interest on off his hands at a time you don't need to make a purchase and nobody is looking to buy yet. I would work him harder on the v ride and not the pro v at all. I take it you have employees buying two machines the same size. The controls on the pro v are not for rough employees. Your guys can't beat on that machine like the standers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not buy the walk behind? Do you have either of these machines in your fleet? According to most on this board, and in general, Scag products are some of the most over engineered, and over built units on the planet. I've been an eXmark / Wright shop for years, but this pkg deal seems like a good opportunity to replace some older equipment. The dealer also lowered his price to 10.5K. Scag owners, please feel free to drop an opinion....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought an old stock v ride myself, i would stay away from the walkbehind, they have problems with the controls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Member

About the prov I just demoed one. Great machine for a solo guy or someone who doesn't have animals in their buisness. The help I have that would not work. Don't know where you are but I am in the deep south and labor sucks. They can break the unbrakeable. It is really sad i have my tools and then i have tools they use. For that reason I run belt drive scag walkbehinds for them to use. Yes they are slower but tanks. But for 4250. Buy the thing you can't get any hydro for that kind of money.

Keep working him on price. It does sound great but they are costing him money!!!!!!! Nobody but us buys in December. He won't sell it to anybody but someone in the biz. You are at about 21% off retail on the v ride. Hell wright gives you 17% just cuz it is ******* winter.

I don't buy enough at one time to get fleet pricing on anything but toros fleet is like 23%.. I am thinking about stitching to grandstands buy that is another story. So look at it this way. The dealer is still making something at fleet. I guess like 7 to 12% . So don't believe any of I am selling it to you at cost stuff

I would pull the trigger at 10. But I am a cheap ass. Do it now if you don't want to loose it. But don't forget you are doing him a favor..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Though I have never owned a hydro Scag. I do have the belt drive wb. It is a tank! I would stay away from the pro v. (Thats just my opinion) The v-ride on the other hand totally! Just like QLM said you are doing him a favor by getting rid of them. He could probably go lower on price I bet.

Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the information, guys. Consensus seems to be no on the walk behind, and yes on the V-Ride. Unfortunately the dealer was a little less than honest, as the V-Ride is a demo with 25hrs. They will issue a full new warranty starting on the date of purchase. It was advertised as "new". I'm thinking 5.5K would be a fair price for all....
Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the stander is to much $$$, i can pay less then that new on a 2013. The pro-v i worth its weight in scrap metal thats about it. Dont buy a new fixed deck either they are the worst mowers i have ever run. I wish i had my 1993's back over the 2012.

Junk, take a pass card on those for sure.