Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

trailer GVWR question

hey guys. i'm running a bigtex 50la, with two 3500lbs dexter axles.

the manufacturer GVWR is 5,000lbs.

I'm getting a skidsteer this winter, was wondering if you guys think i'm crazy to try and put it on this trailer.

my real concern is the gate.

Seems like most units i'm looking at are around 4000-5500 lbs.

any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

depends on the skid, Some are small, some are big. some have wheels, some have tracks. the gate mesh might hold, but not for awhile. Bobcats largest skid (s850) totals 10k lbs. while the smallest skid (s70) is 2800 lbs. You might have to get some welding done on the gate to give it more support
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

What length is your trailer? Since I don't know this, and going by the spec sheet from Bigtex, lets assume its 18 feet. With a GVWR of 5000#, you have to consider both your load and the weight of the trailer. The 18 foot 50LA weights 1,570#. That leaves 3430# for payload, under the best conditions if you want to absolutely MAX out your available GVWR. That doesn't get you a very large skid steer. I would be concerned about the ramp gate, but even if it is beefed up (also, adding weight) then you have to consider trailer frame, axles, wheel bearings, tires, springs, wheels, etc. Unless you're getting the smallest skid steer they offer, I think you need to upgrade trailers. I would recommend at least 10,000# GVWR, but depending on the size of your equipment, you might consider 12,000# or 14,000#.

Edit: Just noticed you're looking at 4000-5500 Lb range skid steer. In that case, a 10,000# trailer would get it, but if you ever considered going bigger, I would up the trailer GVWR more as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

14 foot trailer

ah i see where you get that number from. originally i was under the impression that it could load 7,000# but i see..

unit's i've looked at include:
bobcat 743, 753, case 1818, and the one i REALLY want to get, but pressed up against the bank walls for is the volvo mc70b with 700 hours. however that weighs 5,800#
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWRIGHTcut View Post
14 foot trailer

ah i see where you get that number from. originally i was under the impression that it could load 7,000# but i see..

unit's i've looked at include:
bobcat 743, 753, case 1818, and the one i REALLY want to get, but pressed up against the bank walls for is the volvo mc70b with 700 hours. however that weighs 5,800#
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but yeah, I would think all of those would be problematic for your trailer, and ultimately would present a safety concern. Also worth considering is that most attachments, particularly trenchers, harley rakes, power brooms, etc., add significantly to the overall weight of the machine. Those are composed of a lot more than plate like a bucket is.

I see guys around here all the time with tandem 3500# axle trailers that have smiling axles and the wheels look like / \. Typically, it is from loading an overweight piece of equipment or trying to put 6 yards of soil mix (at 1500# per yard) on that trailer. I load a 6500# mini excavator on my 10,000# trailer, and it is the upper end of the capacity range, but there is still a comfortable margin of safety with regards to weight. However, the next trailer I purchase will be a 14,000# GVWR.

Your trailer is ultimately the insurance that you have to get your piece of equipment from job to job safely and without damage, so I would not skimp on the trailer...especially considering the weight of the units you're considering. That brings to mind also, what are you towing with...?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

well hey that's why i asked I appreciate the input.

I am not the typical** asshat landscaper that will tow it if it tows. I want to be safe and I'm in the mountains here so it is important that my liability not manifest itself, especially in terms of the weight we're talking.

I run a Wright Z, Wright sentar sport, and two bobcat 36 inch walk behinds comfortably. I assume that's around 3,500# and I feel safe about that, so I was wondering what I could squeeze out of it without being unsafe.

I tow the mowers with a 00' tundra, but would consider putting the 88' F350 5.8L on the road if towing heavy equipment.

I have spent my 'career', so to speak putting people to work, now that I moved and I am by myself, it's time for a big boy piece of equipment.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWRIGHTcut View Post
well hey that's why i asked I appreciate the input.

I am not the typical** asshat landscaper that will tow it if it tows. I want to be safe and I'm in the mountains here so it is important that my liability not manifest itself, especially in terms of the weight we're talking.

I run a Wright Z, Wright sentar sport, and two bobcat 36 inch walk behinds comfortably. I assume that's around 3,500# and I feel safe about that, so I was wondering what I could squeeze out of it without being unsafe.

I tow the mowers with a 00' tundra, but would consider putting the 88' F350 5.8L on the road if towing heavy equipment.

I have spent my 'career', so to speak putting people to work, now that I moved and I am by myself, it's time for a big boy piece of equipment.
Just like your signature says, "there is no substitute for doing it the right way." Towing in the mountains, I would place safety at the high priority as you are.

One thing about equipment as opposed to employees, they don't complain (typically) and there are no taxes, insurance, social security, etc. to pay on them. Not to mention, that bobcat will allow you to do 5x capacity of what employees could. Best of luck to you with whatever you opt for, would love to hear about what you end up going with for the skid!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

my dad always told me to keep it simple.. the less people you have to pay the better, "the best help is at the end of your arm"... lol

thanks, for the responses.

I'm looking into a 10k trailer now. I don't think it will be the end of the world to get another trailer, I mean it is necessary... Plus I have this real knack for haggling lol.. I think if I could get a trailer and a skid for $10-12k I'll be in good shape... including attachements. I'm seeing that some of the best deals are people who have all attachements and just put it all up for sale.

I found one guy in like Wisconsin that had a New Holland skid with augers, backhoe, 3 buckets, planer, just like everything for $15,000.

I will post back with results of the purchase! Thanks again dude.